Rocky in hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Em_0777

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Essex, UK
Any advice really. I got my 4 month old Sulcata on Sunday, since then he won't come out of his hide :( bit worried as he must be hungry by now? Is this just him settling in? Temps, lighting etc all fine. Thanks :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO :)

Please don't panic!

Your tort has been plunged into a new world with a stranger to look after him and he doesn't know who, or what, to trust yet.

It's not unusual for new torts to take days, if not weeks, to get used to the new deal and decide you are a friend. They can be very slow on the uptake!

Get into a routine so that your tort knows what to expect and at what time as this should help him to be less frightened. A daily soak ensures hydration and is particularly important when a new pet may not be eating properly.

With Joe, the lights go on, then the heat, then he has his soak (more on that later). While he soaks I do the 'housework' in his tortoise table and put out his food. He eats best straight after his soak.

For the soak:
Put enough warm (not hot) water in a plastic box or bowl to come up over your tort's plastron (undershell). The sides of the box should not be see through and should be high enough for him not to be able to climb out. Pop him in for 20 minutes. This is best done when he hasn't warmed up properly as he's less likely to make escape attempts.

During the soak, your tort will hopefully drink (but don't be surprised if you don't see him do it)

He will probably wee and/or poop too. This is normal. change the water if it is too disgusting; though it is normally you who find it disgusting rather than the tort!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

A good way to start him eating if your concerned with his not eating for so long is to make his soak a 50/50 mix of warm water and strained carrots (babyfood)

Em_0777

5 Year Member
Essex, UK
Thanks guys! I was out allday today, and on my return, I noticed the greens had been munched and the thermometer had been knocked off the side of his house.. He's been out :) I'll see how he is tomorrow

Em_0777

5 Year Member
Essex, UK
The Rockstar

Heres my new sully, Rocky.. He's 4 months old. Bit of a rebel for the first day, but gone shy now, but only had him since Sunday..

pb1.jpg

pb2.jpg

Pics tinted green due to UV bulb..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi EM_0777:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Your substrate should be changed out for something that you can moisten. Your little rock star is starting to pyramid, but if you start using a moistened substrate right away, and maybe even a humid hiding place, you can nip that in the bud.

Em_0777

5 Year Member
Essex, UK
Yeah, somebody did mention the pyramiding, but I didn't see it. I'll get the humidity up. Only got him a few days ago. I'm Emma :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the pellets are hard for them to get traction on for walking properly and they mold when they get wet.
Is he eating now? what are you feeding him?

Kalgodric

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forums...the people here are VERY helpful!
I had my friend Bodhi in the same kind of pellets that Rocky is in now, thats what the pet store told me was the right stuff uugg... Thanks to the kind people here I found out that those pellets are actualy kinda harmful so I changed over to Cocco Coir...Bodhi is MUCH happier and alot more active.
Glad that you found this place and I hope you and your friend benifit from all the good info you can find here.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome,
its best to change that substrate out to something that holds in humidity such as cypress mulch or coco coir.
Keep them hot and humid :)

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Hello and welcome! I love that second pic. It reminds me of when Bowser was that small. She had to try to taste everything and see if she could eat it, lol :p

Status
Not open for further replies.