Romanian newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bucharest, Romania z6
Hi all!

I am Fabian, 38, from Bucharest, Romania.
We have here 1 native turtle- Emys orbicularis- and 2 tortoises- Testudo ibera and Eurotestudo boettgeri. Tortoises not in the Bucharest area, though, but only in extreme SE and SV, where they both reach some of the coldest habitats for their species.
I keep Testudo ibera- native rescued from captive situations, Agrionemys horsfieldi, Eurotestudo boettgeri- also rescued from captive situations, but from persons that took them home after visiting Greece :(. I don't keep native boettgeri, because for them exists a legal kind of "recover and release" center, and I already gave them one crazy male :).
I hibernate all my animals- ouch, sensitive subject here, but Europeans are very relaxed about and most of them don't speculate too much about "what's hibernation": they just try to know where their animals came from, and let them in the fridge for shorter or longer periods, accordingly. And they do breed horsfields with ease, even in cloudy England ;)!
I also had the satisfaction of obtaining some perfect youngs from my ibera trio (1.2.12), incubating with temp drop overnight, simulating the natural drop.
Well... that's pretty all!

Cheers!

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome. What are your high and low temperatures in Bucharest?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Fabian:

Sorry for banning you right off the bat. I saw your cactus link and thought you were a spammer.

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

We are all here to learn. Thanks for the info!

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Thank you all for the warm welcome!!
A lot of information and interesting discussions!

DesertGrandma said:
Welcome. What are your high and low temperatures in Bucharest?

Grandma, in Bucharest we have as averages Jan:-3*C, Jul:23*C, 560mm/year; absolute extremes: -32*C and 43*C, and for rainfall app. 200mm to 1000mm/year.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
CactusVinnie said:
Hi all!

I am Fabian, 38, from Bucharest, Romania.
We have here 1 native turtle- Emys orbicularis- and 2 tortoises- Testudo ibera and Eurotestudo boettgeri. Tortoises not in the Bucharest area, though, but only in extreme SE and SV, where they both reach some of the coldest habitats for their species.
I keep Testudo ibera- native rescued from captive situations, Agrionemys horsfieldi, Eurotestudo boettgeri- also rescued from captive situations, but from persons that took them home after visiting Greece :(. I don't keep native boettgeri, because for them exists a legal kind of "recover and release" center, and I already gave them one crazy male :).
I hibernate all my animals- ouch, sensitive subject here, but Europeans are very relaxed about and most of them don't speculate too much about "what's hibernation": they just try to know where their animals came from, and let them in the fridge for shorter or longer periods, accordingly. And they do breed horsfields with ease, even in cloudy England ;)!
I also had the satisfaction of obtaining some perfect youngs from my ibera trio (1.2.12), incubating with temp drop overnight, simulating the natural drop.
Well... that's pretty all!

Cheers!

Hello, Fabian, and welcome to TFO! :) Sounds like you have some great tortoises there. Also, it's neat having someone from Romania here, considering how that country is a kind of "crossroads" for Testudo species. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

BTW - My father is also from Bucharest. I grew up here in the USA, but I do know a tiny bit of Romanian. Beautiful language. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.