Room for three pardalis

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
Hi guys, I have bought three pardalis pardalis, I have decide to build the definitive room for the next winter, since it's the first time that I built a room I've a lot of question.
The measure should be 2,50x5x2h meters, the structure will be made in wood and isolated with polystyrene. The room will be built in my garden where the temperature never goes under the 3-4 C.
How many lamps I have to use?
Thanks and apologize me for bad English.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
You should heat the room to at least 24C - 25C, I think that's right, 80F. So, however many that is. Basking spot should be around 37 - 38. A room with a south facing glass roof on a proper angle could save you alot of money. A greenhouse if you will. There are many plans on the internet for ones that are dug into the ground for a meter or so to add the insulation from the earth or buried on three sides for the same effect. This can be done to look nice as well as being functional.
How big are your torts and where are the pictures? :)

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
View attachment 72920
These are my turtle probably I'll buy another one so I've decided to built the definitive room, my biggest doubt Is about the lamps I have no idea which I'd use...unfortunately the room isn't reach by the sun so the roof made whit glass isn't useful.
Sorry but I didn't understand the isolation part of your post could link a document or a photos?
Tanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
tarta4ever said:
These are my turtle probably I'll buy another one so I've decided to built the definitive room, my biggest doubt Is about the lamps I have no idea which I'd use...unfortunately the room isn't reach by the sun so the roof made whit glass isn't useful.
Sorry but I didn't understand the isolation part of your post could link a document or a photos?
Tanks

I can't link to it from work, :(, but basically, they dig a pit and construct the room part way under ground and if they cant do it this way, they pack dirt around the bottom meter or so of the outside walls. The earth insulates the shed very well and it can be made to look like a more natural part of the larger tortoise area.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What you need to think about is heating the entire space and maintaining and adequate ambient temp. For this you can you can use radiant oil heaters or space heaters or any number of other options. Once you have the ambient up, then you can use a couple of mercury vapor bulb to make a nice basking spot in one area. You can use some 48" florescent tubes for lighting. You won't use "bulbs" to heat the entire space.

tarta4ever

10 Year Member!
A lot of thanks I've understood, is a vey good idea, could you suggest a cheep method to warm the room?

Sorry I have just read tom's post

Thanks for the answers for the UVB the mercury vapor lamp are enough?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes if you use the right amount and have them at the right distance. I recommend everyone who depends on artificial UV over long frozen winters have a good UV meter. This is the ONLY way to know you have got your UV correct. We use thermometers to check out temperatures. We use hygrometers to check our humidity levels. Checking UV levels for an indoor tortoise who does not see the sun is just as important.

The cheapest way to heat the room is to not have to heat it. What I mean by that is: SUPER insulate and seal your tortoises shed. "A penny saved is a penny earned..." so to speak. If you aren't losing heat through air gaps, seams and thin uninsulated walls, you won't have to spend so much energy and money generating heat. I like to use radiant oil heaters, like this: http://www.target.com/p/delonghi-sa...=medium_2_2&term=portable+oil+radiant+heaters It doesn't have to be this EXACT one, but this style. And I never use them on high. I only use them on low. Run it on your own separate thermostat.