Rounded bottom of Box Turtle shell

TDunn

Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville LA
4 months ago I rescued an injured Eastern Box Turtle from the middle of a busy street in a busy are. It was relatively small - 3" diameter - and had a puncture/cave in on the top of the shell. I was able to thoroughly clean and patch that with a small fiberglass patch. He did very well for almost 4 months in his 30 gal dry enclosure. Recently it is eating less and I have noticed the bottom of its shell is becoming rounded. Does anyone know what might cause this? Seems healthy otherwise. I feed it Zoo Med Box Turtle canned food which is a Veg blend in a gelatin filler. I mix in meal worms with this. I wrap small servings wrapped in foil and freeze them. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my grandkids have become quite attached to "Patch" the Turtle.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do you have uvb lighting for him?
What's the day temps?
Night temps?
Water source for him to go into?
The diet I'm not sure about but sounds like it needs improving
@Yvonne G

TDunn

Mandeville LA
Do you have uvb lighting for him?
What's the day temps?
Night temps?
Water source for him to go into?
The diet I'm not sure about but sounds like it needs improving
@Yvonne G
Under tank heater on one end set to 80 degrees. No uv light just flourescent set for around 12 hours daily. Small water bowl ot can (just barely) fit into. Tried sprinkling a commercial calcium supplement on food but it avoided eating. I also put apples and strawberries in every couple of days.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No under heaters should be used for little ones. Then only with a heat light above it for older ones
He needs uvb ASAP unless you get him outside 3-4 days a week for 4 hours each day.
He also needs a basking area that reaches 95-100. Use an incandescent flood bulb for basking.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Please post some pictures of the tortoise so we can see what you said about rounded bottom shells in particular. A few different angles would be good.

TDunn

Mandeville LA
No under heaters should be used for little ones. Then only with a heat light above it for older ones
He needs uvb ASAP unless you get him outside 3-4 days a week for 4 hours each day.
He also needs a basking area that reaches 95-100. Use an incandescent flood bulb for basking.
Thanks!
Please post some pictures of the tortoise so we can see what you said about rounded bottom shells in particular. A few different angles would be good.
Will do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be that the fiberglass patch sealed in pathogens that are causing an infection and the pliable plastron is swelling because of it. A blood test will tell if there's an infection.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As in not for an aquatic turtle species.
Yes, we know that, but young box turtles do best in a very wet and humid environment - almost swamp-like.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
lots of folks raise young box turtles in water ...... i raise them in soaking wet sphagnum moss,.......i've seen them brumate under water.....

Reactions: myk

TDunn

Mandeville LA
dry???? box turtles, especially young box turtles don't do well in "dry"
As not for a aquatic turtle specie
4 months ago I rescued an injured Eastern Box Turtle from the middle of a busy street in a busy are. It was relatively small - 3" diameter - and had a puncture/cave in on the top of the shell. I was able to thoroughly clean and patch that with a small fiberglass patch. He did very well for almost 4 months in his 30 gal dry enclosure. Recently it is eating less and I have noticed the bottom of its shell is becoming rounded. Does anyone know what might cause this? Seems healthy otherwise. I feed it Zoo Med Box Turtle canned food which is a Veg blend in a gelatin filler. I mix in meal worms with this. I wrap small servings wrapped in foil and freeze them. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my grandkids have become quite attached to "Patch" the Turtle.

Attachments

• 20240320_074018.jpg
    20240320_074018.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240320_073846.jpg
    20240320_073846.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240320_073911.jpg
    20240320_073911.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240320_073932.jpg
    20240320_073932.jpg