RT safe cactus for decor any suggestions

Richabi

Location (City and/or State)
wales uk
Hi all im in the process of building my Toby a new enclosure and want to add cactus as a decor would appreciate any advice on which type I should get if any thanks

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Opituna cactus (sometimes known as prickly pear cactuses I think) seem to be very common because they're safe for torts to munch on. But try to see if you can get a spineless kind (I've never seen one but heard rumors that they exist). And I'm sure other members have better inputs with plants for an RF enclosure. :)

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
Here are two better cactus options and one bad option -> cuss worthy plant.

I bought first and third from Home Depot and the second one from a local nursery. They're all from least summer and have already grown quite a bit.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455838197.771897.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455838207.006317.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455838215.272536.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1455838224.731144.jpg

Richabi

wales uk
Cool what are the good ones called so I can see if they are available here

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I don't know if they do, I would assume they would but I hate them. If I get within a foot of the one cactus, it jumps out and stabs me! (jk)

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
If you try a mom & pop nursery, they might have a larger selection. However, if you're in sunny SoCal, they're selling now almost everywhere. The cactus in the first picture is called an 'Emerald Wave' opuntia cactus. The second one was just labeled as a spineless cactus.

Richabi

wales uk
Lol I wish I'm from UK might struggle with them but its worth a go thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your russian will likely eat any cactus it has access to, spines or not. There are many varieties of spineless opuntia and they are all good tortoise food. I have around 10 different types at my ranch. My tortoises devour all of them every chance they get.

turtlemanfla88

What I do with the spines/hairs is use a small torch I got at harbor freight and burn them for a couple of seconds. Remember these cactus are native only to the Americas and are found no where else in the world so, to a lot of our animals they are not used to spines. I watched a wild gopher tortoise eat a prickly pear the other day in Florida and all of our have huge spines, but then again they are both native.

turtlemanfla88

Yep today I broke off some pads off of my spineless opuntia today and threw them to my Russians. Then I felt something in my fingers it was very little hairs I got them out.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
I wear thick leather gloves and then use a metal spoon or hand spade to scrape off any thorns (big or small).

gamera154

grand terrace ca
Here are two better cactus options and one bad option -> cuss worthy plant.

I bought first and third from Home Depot and the second one from a local nursery. They're all from least summer and have already grown quite a bit.

View attachment 165491View attachment 165492View attachment 165493View attachment 165494
i have the first one of those kind of cactus well i actauly found the new leaf i dug out and "killed" it survived for a year out of the ground replanted it now its starting to grow

turtlemanfla88

They are all opuntia cactus. A lot of people only use so called spineless. I use both spines and spineless . I do remove the spines, hairs with a small cheap butane torch. Just go over it and the heat and flame do the rest. I almost cooked it the first time I did it. In FLA I had people tell me they cook and eat prickly pear and it is good. My luck is I would cook some spineless and end up at the Dr. With hairs in my mouth.