runny stool--HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pros81

5 Year Member
Hi,

I just got a new Cherryhead this past Thursday (this is a new addition as I already care for a tortoise of this variety).

The little fella has an SCL of about 2.5" and appears to be quite healthy. You can see a quick video I made here of the tortoise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ab-9a6Hw4

Anyway, like I said, everything about the tortoise appears to be healthy; s/he's a voracious eater, drinks lots, and follows all other typical redfoot behavior except for one thing--s/he's been having runny stool nearly everyday.

The color is normal but it is very watery/mushy.

I have cancelled out temp/humidity and current diet as the culprit, because my other cherryhead who has been living in this enclosure and eating these very foods has thrived.

My only guess is that it is either stress related or the little guy could have some sort of infection/parasite.

Should I give some time to allow the tortoise (and its stool) to naturally correct itself or should I be worried now and take drastic measures?

Thanks.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
You don't really know what his diet has been.. and for the life of me I don't know why 'runny-stool' or anything else is always the result of parasites!?

What can a Vet do for a tort that small? Don't ever allow them to give an injection [ especially A ].. it will be dead before you get home.

I have found that the best thing someone can do for a hatchling that size is provide their needs and leave them alone.. don't soak or fry their eyes out with UVB.. or cook them with a "hot-spot" of 90+ F, etc.

As you can tell I get excited when someone mentions 'parasites and Vets' in the same sentence talking about a hatchling. Your redfoot was not started right.. otherwise you wouldn't have these concerns. No one ever has these concerns with my hatchlings.. so there's no reason other breeders can't do the same!

Forgive my rant please???

It most likely is from some dreaded 'commercial' food that it has eaten. Give it time.. it sounds like something he has eaten and he'll be fine - it takes about a week for something to pass thru.

NERD

BTW.. please tell us you have the other one in a bigger/different enclosure now.. not in the same one.

pros81

5 Year Member
"and for the life of me I don't know why 'runny-stool' or anything else is always the result of parasites!?"

I did what ever research I could before I came to post this. Based upon the literature out there on the internets, it seems more often than not that people point to a worm or parasite as a culprit to the runny stool. I've no doctorate on the subject so for better or for worse, what I read is the best I have.

"I have found that the best thing someone can do for a hatchling that size is provide their needs and leave them alone.. don't soak or fry their eyes out with UVB.. or cook them with a "hot-spot" of 90+ F, etc."

I'm really really glad that you've suggested this route. It's the route I was hoping for. I do believe this tortoise was started on Mazuri, amongst other things.

Lastly, I actually have them in the same enclosure currently. Did you make the final statement to hint at the quarantine period? Perhaps this is me being lazy/dumb, but I figured since I got both tortoises from the same breeder that a quarantine period would be unnecessary.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It would be nice to know what the current diet, temps, habitat size and humidities are.

Runny stool can be a lot of things-a simple reaction to stress or change, a different diet, too much fruit or low-fiber food, etc. I would not go to parasites as a big option for a baby unless it was wild caught or something.

Terry (Redfoot NERD) has lots of experience and some helpful sites you can try for info.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
pros81 said:
"and for the life of me I don't know why 'runny-stool' or anything else is always the result of parasites!?"

I did what ever research I could before I came to post this. Based upon the literature out there on the internets, it seems more often than not that people point to a worm or parasite as a culprit to the runny stool. I've no doctorate on the subject so for better or for worse, what I read is the best I have.

"I have found that the best thing someone can do for a hatchling that size is provide their needs and leave them alone.. don't soak or fry their eyes out with UVB.. or cook them with a "hot-spot" of 90+ F, etc."

I'm really really glad that you've suggested this route. It's the route I was hoping for. I do believe this tortoise was started on Mazuri, amongst other things.

Lastly, I actually have them in the same enclosure currently. Did you make the final statement to hint at the quarantine period? Perhaps this is me being lazy/dumb, but I figured since I got both tortoises from the same breeder that a quarantine period would be unnecessary.

Proving once again what's out there on the 'NET'! Not your fault.

The same breeder has proven what he's capable of. Making available a hatchling that hasn't established a "healthy" feeding regime??? You know that makes me see red...............

Why do these guys put the babies and the 'new' owners thru this just to make a buck?

Thanks Mark.. study-up the links in my siggy.. pros81

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.