Russian became obsessed with outdoors and won't eat

MikeK

I adopted a Russian a few months ago. She is about 15 years old. I had multiple vets check her out and she appeared to be in excellent health.

I think I have all the basics covered, heat/uv lamps, different temperature zones, heat/light for 14 hrs a day, lowered temps at night, coconut coir and sand bedding. We soak her in the tub 2-3 times a week. We let her out to roam the kitchen at least once a day for a little while.

At first she ate like a horse. We give her a variety of greens, with a light dusting of calcium and vitamins. Occasional veggies and fruit.

A few weeks back it became warm enough that we could let her roam the back yard supervised for a half hour or so on warm days. She loves to roam the yard and became quickly obsessed with it. She eats little or nothing while in the yard. When we would bring her back in the house she would be very moody for a while. Her eating dropped off, but she did still eat some. For the last week or so she has pretty much stopped eating, but her activity level is extremely high and she clearly wants out of her pen and out to the back yard. She has been pacing her pen, trashing it like a rock star, and glaring at us to take her outside.

We have an appointment with the vet this week. I wouldn't be surprised if they de-worm her in case this is upsetting her tummy.

But I am very curious about the absolutely crazy all consuming obsession with getting outside. Is this normal spring behavior??

Thanks!
Mike

M

Maggie Cummings

yes and no. I have a tortoise who gets stressed out from going out during the day and coming back in. So possibly she's kinda stressed out too. Can't you set her up outside for the day and inside at night or something like that? I can't leave this young tortoise outside because we have raccoons and coyotes...
But it sounds like yours really wants to be outside...

MikeK

Oh yes, she most definitely wants to be out! Most days it is still too cold. Once we get to consistently better weather we'll let her out more. Worried about wild (and domestic) animals getting at her, so we'll have to sort out some sort of pen though. She just has a one track mind and nothing else (i.e. food) is important anymore...

Last edited:

MikeK

Saw the odd animal vet today. He said my Russian looked fine. He de-wormed her for good measure. He told me it is not unusual for a tortoise to 'rest' for a few weeks after a growth spurt and not each much. He said not to worry unless it continues for a few more weeks. She peed on him, so I guess she agreed.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I noticed mine go through periods were she chooses not to eat as much. Little tort with a big attitude. If she is not happy she poos in her food dish....