Pottergalval

Joey takes Manhattan!!!!

Yesterday, I moved from rural PA to NYC, and this is quite the transition for both myself and my Russian, Joey. He seems to be adjusting well, and enjoys walking around the apartment and exploring. That said, I have to put boric acid around the edges of rooms to deter/kill cockroaches (yay, city problems!) and I want to make sure that it's safe for Joey. I'm even thinking about putting it around the outside of his box because his food might attract pests. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!!!

Val+Joey

Location (City and/or State)
I let my tortoise roam around my apartment in NYC too It is really good to let Russians out to roam and explore. Especially if you have a Small cage. I let him roam every week or so. Keep in mind not to leave paper on the floor they will often try to eat it.

And the boric acid should be fine as long as you keep the tortoise in a room without it. Just always have a room that is free of chemicals. Close the door so the tortoise cannot get out of the safe room.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I let my tortoise roam around my apartment in NYC too It is really good to let Russians out to roam and explore. Especially if you have a Small cage. I let him roam every week or so. Keep in mind not to leave paper on the floor they will often try to eat it.
It's not good to let them roam in a house or room. We have too many deaths or illnesses of tortoises because people let their torts roam the floor instead of listening to the forum that has seen what can happen. Build a proper enclosure and leave him in it to explore.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I strongly disagree. He will eventually ingest something that is ether toxic, or that gives him impaction. Either way, there is a good chance for it to be fatal. Additionally, unless your apartment is completely carpet, (which is also bad because he could ingest carpet fuzz) he is spending a large amount of time on a slippery floor, which can lead to issues with their legs.

Especially if you have a Small cage.

Simple solution: build a bigger enclosure. There are numerous ways do this, but a bookshelf with the shelves knocked out makes a quick and easy enclosure.

Take a look at this thread to get some ideas:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/ideas-for-indoor-enclosures.65798/

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Joey takes Manhattan!!!!

Yesterday, I moved from rural PA to NYC, and this is quite the transition for both myself and my Russian, Joey. He seems to be adjusting well, and enjoys walking around the apartment and exploring. That said, I have to put boric acid around the edges of rooms to deter/kill cockroaches (yay, city problems!) and I want to make sure that it's safe for Joey. I'm even thinking about putting it around the outside of his box because his food might attract pests. Thoughts?

Thanks so much!!!

Val+Joey

I agree put your tort in a enclosure ! And try some Food Grade I will repeat Food grade Diatomaceous Earth for your big problem it works great for ants and many other insects as long as it don’t get wet . And it won’t hurt your tort ! Or you ! Have a great day !