Russian Eggs!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Well, one of my torts layer eggs today! Now, this is the first time for me and I want to do this right. First, I have a Hova bator , the cheep one. I have it on with water in two bowls. I have vermiculite in another , moistened. How long before I have to move the eggs from the enclosure? At this point I am trying to get the temps right in the incubator. Right now I have 89 to 90 in the incubator. What is a he temp range I should be shooting for?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Congrats on the eggs! I am not a breeder of Russian Tortoises, but think that temp might be a little high for the species. I would recommend 86-87. As soon as you have the temps regulated, you should move the eggs into the incubator. I always mark the top of the eggs with an "X" in pencil in order to make sure the tops remain on top.

Also, be aware that you should not place the eggs into the incubator in an open top container or they will dry out too much. I use small round Rubbermaid containers and place the tops on, but don't snap them down. This allows me to lift the top off once or twice a week to make sure the vermiculite is as damp as I want it. If not, I sprinkle a little warm water over the eggs and vermiculite with a sprinkle top bottle. You could also use a spray bottle if you don't have a sprinkle top.

DARKFIRE007

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham Alabama
89 will produce more females, 86 a mix, 83-85 more males. Saw that in a Russian breeding care sheet. There is no set time to move them, but be VERY careful moving the eggs to the incubator, if just laid it isn't as important, but if they have been there for say a day...you can harm the egg by turning/flipping it over. Keep it in the same position as it was in the enclosure and move it to the incubator.