Russian hates bath time

Tort4Tort

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
This post is pretty straight forward like the title - my young Russian tortoise HATES having soaks.

I've tried to entertain him with food and treats but he ignores what I offer and focuses on trying to escape.

So are there any ways I can make the experience more comfortable or enjoyable for him? What works for you guys?

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
What type of food? I put mazuri in when I soak my tort... he cant resist it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've had Russians in the past that acted like I dropped them into a vat of hot acid. I just plop them in the safe soaking tub with warm water and then go about my business for 30-40 minutes. I'm not worried about whether or not they "like" it. Its good for them and it needs to be done. All of mine, even the worse ones, all got used to it in time and relaxed. And none of them ever got sick, constipated or dehydrated because they were so well hydrated.

You can try doing it at different times of the day, or experimenting with cooler or warmer water, but Russians are known water haters... at first.

Tort4Tort

Connecticut
I've had Russians in the past that acted like I dropped them into a vat of hot acid. I just plop them in the safe soaking tub with warm water and then go about my business for 30-40 minutes. I'm not worried about whether or not they "like" it. Its good for them and it needs to be done. All of mine, even the worse ones, all got used to it in time and relaxed. And none of them ever got sick, constipated or dehydrated because they were so well hydrated.

You can try doing it at different times of the day, or experimenting with cooler or warmer water, but Russians are known water haters... at first.
Okay, and yeah unfortunately he needs a soak today... Whether he likes it or not.

Is it possible for them to become "too" hydrated though?

Tort4Tort

Connecticut
What type of food? I put mazuri in when I soak my tort... he cant resist it
His favorite food hands down is kale, so thats what I try to throw in. He likes strawberry tops too but I can't give him those every time he needs a soak

L

LasTortugasNinja

Okay, and yeah unfortunately he needs a soak today... Whether he likes it or not.

Is it possible for them to become "too" hydrated though?
The water getting too cold is more of a risk than "too hydrated"

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I have 2 washing up bowls with water temp around 30 degrees . Tortoise goes in and moved to next warm water 1/2 way through which is normally required as water can get mucky! No food treats in the water and as Tom says they need it and have to get used to it. I then dry on kitchen paper and returned to the food bowl in the enclosure where bath time upsets are instantly forgotten ?

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
What I do is I put him under his lamp in warm water when he wakes up. This is the only way he relaxes and actually likes it. He's calm for at least 30 min, sometimes longer.
IMG_20200529_104657.jpg