Russian not drinking

GeorgeFrancis

Hello all. My new Russian Tort, George, hasn't been drinking anything. I never see him go to his water dish and the water level never goes down. He drinks when we soak him but only then. His dish is about as tall as he is. Is that to big? Thanks

-Xander

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Hi Xander, maybe he cannot get in to it easily? Is it in the substrate where the top of the dish is at soil level? Make sure he can walk into it easily. I like to use the terra cotta clay pot saucers because they make it easy for my tortoises to get in and out and the rough surface of the clay also helps with grip and to trim their nails and beaks. Great that you are doing little spa soaks, warm and cozy and it makes sure that he gets hydration if he is, for some reason or another, not drinking. When it comes to hydration, tough love, even with forced soaks, makes sure that your tortoise is getting the vital water he needs. Good thing.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Most of the time I don't see my tort drink either. I also use a Terra cotta saucer and have the rim level with the substrate so that he can walk right into it. I put some rocks around the edges to help keep the actual substrate out of the water. I soak him once a week for 20 minutes. Even than I don't always see him drink.
You can spray his greens with some water also. Here is a photo of how I have Boris's water dish area. I hope this helps.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387875658.487280.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I just caught mine for the first time with his head in the water! Otherwise I'd of said I've not seen mine drink either! The other day I found him asleep in his water dish!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1388149028.276136.jpg
I changed his dishes round the day before thinking he'd like his food dish away from the light but I guess he likes that corner!Food or water!

Last edited by a moderator:

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Alan RF said:
I just caught mine for the first time with his head in the water! Otherwise I'd of said I've not seen mine drink either! The other day I found him asleep in his water dish!

I changed his dishes round the day before thinking he'd like his food dish away from the light but I guess he likes that corner!Food or water!

That is so cute.

tortoiselover915

Ha ha! That's adorable!

GeorgeFrancis said:
Hello all. My new Russian Tort, George, hasn't been drinking anything. I never see him go to his water dish and the water level never goes down. He drinks when we soak him but only then. His dish is about as tall as he is. Is that to big? Thanks

-Xander

Hi Xander, I really ever see my Russian tortoise drink out of his water dish. I would try soaking him more often. Or making sure he can get to his water dish easily.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This seems to be pretty normal behavior for Russian tortoises. If you feel he isn't getting enough water, you can always sprinkle a bit of water over his food when you set it down.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Yes, your water dish is too tall. Try the terra cotta planter bases as mentioned above.