Russian Not Eating

churlishcurls

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
007 is an adult Russian tortoise - male, but gets called a lady. We took her to the vet for a beak trim and check up about 3 weeks ago, and everything worked out fine for her. She was put under. However, since the visit, she hasn't been eating much at all - a few nibbles or noses the pieces around every couple days. I figured it was stress, but it's continued.

We've dropped her lamp (now suspended from the wall, not a clamp fixture) a little bit to raise the basking temp (high 90s) and changed the bulb to ensure she's getting her full UV exposure. We've refreshed her substrate. I bathe her when possible (some urates/no feces) and I've been varying her food options as usual. She will still go for carrot with all gusto, so I've been shaving small bits of it in to whatever I'm trying to feed her for the day.
If she's up and about in the afternoon, I'll offer her some fresh greens by hand, which sometimes she'll eat and sometimes she'll get territorial and head bob or retreat to her hides.

Not certain what else to do presently, and I'd welcome an outside perspective.

Photos of her enclosure included, as well as temp data from her cool hide side.IMG_20190417_075754.jpegIMG_20190206_174410.jpegScreenshot_2019-04-16-04-41-20.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A couple things need to be done. A larger enclosure is one. An adult Russian needs a 4x8 enclosure minimum. At least in the pic yours does not look big enough. The basking area should always be between 95-100, so adjust for that. I would not let the vet put your tortoise under just for a break trim. It's too easy to do it without putting them under. I have done it myself with toe nail clippers. I'd also find a new vet.
Its possible being under may still be affecting her. Keep offering food, raise the basking temp and make sure the over all day temp is around 75-80 with a night temp drop. More lighting would help too.

churlishcurls

Minnesota
A couple things need to be done. A larger enclosure is one. An adult Russian needs a 4x8 enclosure minimum. At least in the pic yours does not look big enough. The basking area should always be between 95-100, so adjust for that. I would not let the vet put your tortoise under just for a break trim. It's too easy to do it without putting them under. I have done it myself with toe nail clippers. I'd also find a new vet.
Its possible being under may still be affecting her. Keep offering food, raise the basking temp and make sure the over all day temp is around 75-80 with a night temp drop. More lighting would help too.
Much appreciated. We're in the process of building a second layer and ramp for more space and more consistent temps/humidity. Unfortunately our current living space doesn't allow for a much larger footprint. It's 6x4 at the moment.

More light was something I was thinking about. MVB?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes if you dont have a mvb already then yes s/he needs one.
A 6×4 with a second level should be good. Give an outdoor enclosure if possible too.

churlishcurls

Minnesota
Yes if you dont have a mvb already then yes s/he needs one.
A 6×4 with a second level should be good. Give an outdoor enclosure if possible too.
She has one [ZooMed UV 100w] for her basking area, I guess my query was more in the direction of, would you recommend using another one as an additional light source? I've just been using the second head on our floor lamp for some additional ambient light at the cool/humid side.

We're renters in Minnesota, so she gets supervised outdoor time in the spring/summer but that's it until we buy a place. [bonus first day out photo]

IMG_20190419_174844.jpeg