Russian or Hermanns?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I have never seen either one in person so I will go Hermanns just to be different...

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
dalano73 said:
I have never seen either one in person so I will go Hermanns just to be different...

I have heard that Hermanns are more outgoing than any other Testudo species, and perhaps even more than any other tortoise or turtle! Kinda makes you wonder what they're doing out there in the scrub: hunting down hikers for handouts? ;)

Hermanns, like Greeks, also have a beautifully contrasted carapace pattern, more so than the Russian, whose mottling is a bit more subdued. But as I said, there's more to selecting the right tortoise than just behavior and appearance.

I have owned Greeks, boxies, a redfoot, and Russians, and I think they are all awesome in their own way. Right now I have two Russians, and I just love watching them sniff each other's noses, run around, dig, forage, and feed, which they do ravenously during the growing season. I think they are very cool, and they do well where I live, so I'm glad I chose them.

Having never owned a Hermann myself, I can only say they seem like fascinating tortoises from what I've seen, and I have no doubt they make great pets, but I don't think they're the right tortoise for me, based on where I live. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Please pick russian,mine are holding me hostage until you choose a russian. (hurry)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I do think all tortoises and turtles have specific things that make them unique. I have gotten to spend time inside of Matt's enclosure and was amazed by the pesonality that his redfoots and yellowfoots have. It's also because of his him and his adult box turtles that I decided to get a couple for myself. I think that if it's possible, you should spend time around the type of tortoise or turtle that you are interested in and this will help you decided what is best for you.

For those tortoises that I have not seen in person, I just go by members experiences and pictures on this forum and some of the story's and descriptions make you feel like you are there with them enjoying it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have found my Russians when placed outside in the summer, tend to go less friendly, but they still come running when they think food may be arriving. Most of my Russians are WC, with the exception of one I bred here and one I got as a hatchling from my friend. My wild adults are actually friendlier then them. :D

My Hermanns are CB, but they are just not that "running to meet me" attitude I see in my Russians. Everybody has different experiences. ;)

Neltharion said:
Jacqui said:
Friendliness and socializing levels are not a species thing in my opinion. It's more a matter of how you raise the animal and the animals own personality. This becoming more outgoing usually starts happening once they associate you with coming of food.

I stand by my original statement. My own personal observation from owning a group of russians for several years. Some of them never completely came around. They still tuck in when being lifted. Don't come out of hiding when I'm around the enclosure. Only a few of them will take food from my hand. A handful of them are friendlier, but overall, they're not quite as tame.

The hermanns, on the other hand are different. I acquired the group this year. Within a few days, they showed no fear. None of them tuck in when being held. All of them will take food from my hands. They all come out when I'm around.

You and I have just had totally different experiences. :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Jacqui said:
I have found my Russians when placed outside in the summer, tend to go less friendly, but they still come running when they think food may be arriving. Most of my Russians are WC, with the exception of one I bred here and one I got as a hatchling from my friend. My wild adults are actually friendlier then them. :D

Makes sense that they would be aloof if they are living in a nearly free-ranging type of scenario. I have heard similar descriptions of captive box turtle colonies: independent, but still responsive at suppertime. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
Please pick russian,mine are holding me hostage until you choose a russian. (hurry)

Glad it's a nice enough tortoise to atleast let you still do your Mod duties. :D

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
My Russian has been super friendly from day 1. She has always taken food out of my hand and never tucks in her shell, in fact as soon as she hears voices or movement she will come up to the front of her enclosure and stick her head right out as she likes having her head rubbed. She pushes her head up into your finger and will follow your hand about if you move it. She's awesome :)

And she is only 2years old from a pet shop so wouldnt have had much previous handling. She is just very tame and definitley a strong character

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I vote Russian :). If money isn't an issue please try to buy a captive bred tort. I personally think cb Russians can be exceptionally good looking, and the cb tort trade needs support. Good luck :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jacqui said:
Now if this animal were being gotten by me for me...ummm wait a second please. Terry do you mind closing your eyes for awhile? Okay he is hopefully not seeing this. If it were for me, I would choose the Hermanns. Come back with more details about you and the future you see for this tortoise and I will give you more thoughts on which one for you.

L:pL Can I open 'em yet, Jacqui?...it's been a few months... L:pL

Another vote for a Hermann's tortoise...lot of personality in a compact size!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hermann's and Russians are very similar in many ways. The biggest differences being that Russians are a true burrowing species and require a lot of heat and light during normal activity periods. Hermann's, whether Easterns, Dalmatians or Westerns, are more adapt to slowly changing seasons and are much more active throughout most of those seasons. Although North Dakota is not ideal tortoise country by any means, both species would do well outdoors there in the summer and early fall. In terms of "personality", curiosity and human interaction Eastern Hermann's are the best of the two. Dalmatian Hermann's are a very close second.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
So if you lived in ND like me you would keep them outdoors 24/7 during the summer and fall? I already picked and fell in love with my Russians I love them! But am considering getting Hermann's this summer!

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I vote Russian :) They are Awsome :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
gopherhockey03 said:
So if you lived in ND like me you would keep them outdoors 24/7 during the summer and fall? I already picked and fell in love with my Russians I love them! But am considering getting Hermann's this summer!

Not that we'd want to be called "enablers"...but, yeah, you should! :p

Hermann's are the most awesome species you can keep w/o eventually needing a hernia truss (a thinly veiled reference to 3 other awesome tortoise species, the sulcata, Aldabra & Galapagos) :cool:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Most tortoises only come running because they think we have food, right? Not because they 'like' us, or are social? Don't most of them lead a solitary life except to mate? They might not mind us rubbing their heads, etc., but they aren't really domesticated like cats or dogs...
(ok, ok, tell us stories about your loving torts now...)
You do want to make sure you try to sort of match your climate to the species you pick, at least for part of the year...

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
Well I did a little research and the area they come from is identical to the weather where I live. Which is crazy I couldn't imagine my tortoises hibernating outside during the winter it's crazy cold here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Russians are crazy hardy tortoises!!!

Hardknox

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Most tortoises only come running because they think we have food, right? Not because they 'like' us, or are social? Don't most of them lead a solitary life except to mate? They might not mind us rubbing their heads, etc., but they aren't really domesticated like cats or dogs...
You do want to make sure you try to sort of match your climate to the species you pick, at least for part of the year...

I have no stories of lovey dovey torts to share but this publication would certainly disagree with you. In the study a great amount of success was had with classical and operant conditioning using both a feeding response as well as tactile stimuli. Just something to consider before you start to presume animals are simpler than they really are...

asi.emailhandlers.net/assets/library/174_jaws060103.pdf

(mod note: If the link doesn't work for you, copy paste it into a GOOGLE search box and a PDF paper comes up about training aldabra tortoises)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
gopherhockey03 said:
Well I did a little research and the area they come from is identical to the weather where I live. Which is crazy I couldn't imagine my tortoises hibernating outside during the winter it's crazy cold here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Russians are crazy hardy tortoises!!!

Russian tortoises originate in some of the least habitable real estate on Earth, so yeah, they're tough littlw dudes/dudettes...but Hermann's are generally friendlier.

lynnedit said:

It really depends on the tortoise and it's species, and how much time you put into building a trust, but some tortoises are actually very friendly, even when fully fed.

Not that they'd EVER turn down an additional tasty treat! :cool:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Hardknox said:
I have no stories of lovey dovey torts to share but this publication would certainly disagree with you. In the study a great amount of success was had with classical and operant conditioning using both a feeding response as well as tactile stimuli. Just something to consider before you start to presume animals are simpler than they really are...

asi.emailhandlers.net/assets/library/174_jaws060103.pdf

Great article thanks! Reminds me of the other article about torts being very good at learning mazes. I am constantly astounded at both my torts' adaptability and memories! I agree they are not simple, (just different than domesticated pets, of course). That becomes clear when you see the variation in their personalities. My 3 larger torts are unafraid of me, and let me work in their enclosures w/o concern. When I am in the greenhouse, one of them will twine around my feet, so I have to be CAREFUL.

Russians are hardy. I believe it is true that a percentage don't make it through hibernation in the wild, although of course they have no choice but to do it. Even they probably make mistakes guessing how deep the frost will go, etc.
Tanner, since you have Russians, you could expand your herd to 1:3 as one option. (And then you could get Hermann's too, lol. They sound wonderful).
In your climate, make sure in the summer enclosure that you have plenty of shady areas, so they can escape the really hot sun. Might work to incorporate a small tree on one end.

Status
Not open for further replies.