Russian or Red Foot?

Russian or Red foot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
I am wanting to get a tortoise, but I am unsure of which one I want, I can provide a habitat for both, I have time for either one, I have food for either one. I have had russian in the past but had to give it away because of my wood turtle(was told I could only have one) but that was has passed away last year, and I am ready to get a new one. I have done a lot of research on both. Please give me votes as to which one to get... I am new to this site.. Please tell me what you think! or maybe both? My bother wants a RF but I like the Russian.. I would be happy with either and give it what it needs..

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

I would advise against getting two new torts in one go... get one and do the best you can for it.

Tortoises are a life long project. they should live for well over 50 years, so there's plenty of time to get another when the first is fully established.

As Red foots and Russians need very different care, they can never be housed together. Personally I'd choose Russian, but that's me in my house with the climate in my area.

What's the weather like where you are?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME :D I voted both. Not to really get both, but I think both are nice. Do you want a larger one and do you have the room for a larger one? If so, get the red foot, if not, get the Russian.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! You say you have the room and can care for both species, so I pick a redfoot. I think they are a much nicer tortoise then a Russian, plus your brother is wanting one and it's best to give in when giving in is actually not going against your own desire. ;)

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
Thanks! I live in MO. I have my own Garden and we plant EVERYTHING so I do have food for both. I have both an inside and outside enclosure. Both hand made my dad and me! I was wondering, Do RF's really need Crickets and Pinky mice? I heard they did.. If so, It is not a problem as we have that from our Gecko's and snakes. but I just wanted to make sure.. And I can keeep the humidity up even outdoors. I had an Iguanna that I did that will. Mistings every half hour and lots of water! and stuff that keeps it in! They will come in at night as we ave loose dogs around but they will be safe in the day by my dogs. ( they loved watching my last turtle. Never tied to harm him).

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You can feed them mice as part of their protein in the diet, but you do not have to use that source. I have never heard of feeding them crickets, but I could see them possibly eating them, too. :D

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
It is okay to just get one? or should I get two? Are they okay by themselves? I will be holding it alot, I just didn't know if it would get stressed being alone...

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Most of the time, they are best by themselves, like they would usually be found in nature. Redfoots are more likely to do better in pairs then would a Russian. Thing is do you have room for two as adults? If they start to fight or one starts to be a bully, can you separate them? Do you have any desire down the line to try breeding them?

ellie99

5 Year Member
I have a red footed tortoise and he is so cute so I guess I would say to get a red footed Tortoise !! :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
pnsprrt5863 said:
Thanks! I live in MO. I have my own Garden and we plant EVERYTHING so I do have food for both. I have both an inside and outside enclosure. Both hand made my dad and me! I was wondering, Do RF's really need Crickets and Pinky mice? I heard they did.. If so, It is not a problem as we have that from our Gecko's and snakes. but I just wanted to make sure.. And I can keeep the humidity up even outdoors. I had an Iguanna that I did that will. Mistings every half hour and lots of water! and stuff that keeps it in! They will come in at night as we ave loose dogs around but they will be safe in the day by my dogs. ( they loved watching my last turtle. Never tied to harm him).

Missouri, eh? My wife is from there, so I've been there many times. Missouri is in a transitional part of the country, where the grasslands give way to the forest. It is rather humid there, but of course cold in the winter.

You could keep either species successfully there. The humidity is not so high as to be bad for Russians, but no so low as to be bad for a redfoot. With a Russian, as long as it had a dry burrow to retreat to, you could keep it outdoors in Missouri year round. A redfoot would do well outside during the growing season while it's warm enough, but would have to be brought indoors when it gets colder. Basically, the Russian would be easier to maintain, but if you wanted to keep a redfoot, you could do it.

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
Yes, I have a lot of room for two. I have enough room for up to three. I use to bring in my last one everynight, because like I said, we have a lot of dogs that run wild at night. So bringing it in is not a problem. and I don't know if I could handle leaving it outside all winter long.. I'd be way to worried... And my brother said somthing about breeding, but I'm not real sure we would do that.. this is just a pet for me. and I doubt we ever would. Should I start out with one for now, and when it gets older, like when I can tell if its male or female, it if is a female should I just get another female? would it be okay like that?

pnsprrt5863

5 Year Member
Also, What kind of plants can I use with the RF's? I think I am leaning more toward that..

Status
Not open for further replies.