Russian Outdoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have read ALOT of threads about outdoor enclosures, but I still have some questions. Please help!

Some background:
Lola is a 6/7 yr old Russian
She is pretty small
I have about an 8 ft long by 3 ft wide space to work with

Questions:
I would like to build it off the ground somewhat (like maybe place bricks under it?) because I don't want ants to get her. Is there any type of ant killer out there that wont harm her?

How do I keep it well drained? Because I have lots of wood left over from redoing our deck, I would prefer to use wood.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I think unless they are fire ants, she should be fine. But depending on the substrate, you can drill small holes in the bottom to allow for some drainage. I think that's what most members here do.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

russianhenry

5 Year Member
Texas
I will be using plain dirt as substrate.

Unfortunately here in south Texas we have lots if fire ants, is there anything I can spray that won't hurt her?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think another member built one off the ground for the same reason. Then you can use fire ant products underneath.
There are beneficial nematodes for fire ants, which are harmless to even earthworms, let alone reptiles, but if you want to be really sure, build it up on blocks.
You can leave 1/4 to 1/2" spaces between the slats in your wood base for drainage, and line with a sturdy garden fabric then gravel, before you add soil.

Status
Not open for further replies.