Russian Outdoor Pen Florida

jrv4babies

We have a russian that we just adopted and will be a pet at our preschool. I am planning that we will take to outdoor pen for 4 hours each day. My intention is that we teach the kids when it is time for you to go outside and get fresh air and excercise, the tortoise needs that also, and they will take him to his "playground" when they go to their playground. And then even though the child's playground time is shorter, about 45 minutes, we will leave him out and then bring him back in before we leave at the end of the day.

We have many many pets at our preschool and I always work to research what is best so that we aren't giving some poor pet store cage life to them. However, this is my first tortoise so I have a lot of learning to do.

The place I have available to build his outdoor enclosure is not on grass, it is on concrete, at the entry of our school. I am planning on doing something like the attached photos and hoping I don't have a pinterest fail. :) Most of these are shown on grass except one. The only good news of all of this is that he won't be able to burrow out through concrete.

I am thinking I will put a layer of rocks for drainage purposes, then landscape fabric and then a good layer of dirt for the tortoise and for the plantings. And then top layer of decorative stuff...leaving some spaces just dirt and other with rocks or sod etc.

VERY happy to learn any of your best insight such as:

how deep to make bottom layer of drainage rocks?
how deep to make main dirt layer to plant in?
best plants to put out there for him?
anything particular we should avoid?

This will be at the entry of our school so aesthetics matter too.

upload_2017-9-1_0-30-32.png
upload_2017-9-1_0-30-50.png

Attachments

• 8734fba2acc11a8d494949e428320be2.jpg
    8734fba2acc11a8d494949e428320be2.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    144 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 13

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome, fellow Floridian.
I don't keep Russians but I can give you a few tips: Here in Florida, provide shade and safety from predators. Russian tortoises HATE other tortoises nearby. So don't try for a pair. And small Russians can climb like mountain goats. So don't have anything near a perimeter wall or have walls with texture on them.