Russian Pyramiding

jaejsvv

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hey folks,

I saw the pyramiding post on the week in review, and now I am totally freaked out.

Bananas gets plenty of water and soaks often, but I don't really track humidity. I think he also eats lots of greens that have pretty good calcium levels.

Here are a couple of pictures. This is pretty much what his shell looked like when I got him, FWIW.

Thanks
JimV

Attachments

• banana 1.jpg
    banana 1.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 69
  • banana 2.jpg
    banana 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hey folks,

I saw the pyramiding post on the week in review, and now I am totally freaked out.

Bananas gets plenty of water and soaks often, but I don't really track humidity. I think he also eats lots of greens that have pretty good calcium levels.

Here are a couple of pictures. This is pretty much what his shell looked like when I got him, FWIW.

Thanks
JimV
Looks fine to me!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey folks,

Thanks
JimV
Pyramiding really isn't much of a concern for older russians. Only when they are little and growing a lot.

Humidity isn't critical for an adult russian tortoise. They can survive and thrive whether humidity is 10% or 90%. Ideally, I offer damp orchid bark for substrate and a humid hide. Humidity anywhere in the 40-70% range is what I would consider "ideal" for an adult russian. I soak adults once or twice a week in hot weather and always have drinking water available.

jaejsvv

NJ
Pyramiding really isn't much of a concern for older russians. Only when they are little and growing a lot.

Humidity isn't critical for an adult russian tortoise. They can survive and thrive whether humidity is 10% or 90%. Ideally, I offer damp orchid bark for substrate and a humid hide. Humidity anywhere in the 40-70% range is what I would consider "ideal" for an adult russian. I soak adults once or twice a week in hot weather and always have drinking water available.

jaejsvv

NJ
Thanks.

Aside from the humid hide (he has a hide but I am not sure it’s humid), I am doing most of what you say. He’s got moist peat, a shallow water dish and I bath him every few days (seems to be where he does most of his pooping).

That’s a relief.

Thanks again for all the info you provide.

Jim

jaejsvv

NJ
Great. That’s a relief. He seems happy and into a good routine, I just worry there is a lot that can go wrong.

Thank you!