Russian setup questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnewton

5 Year Member
Ok, my son finally talked me into getting a russian. He saw one at petco and really enjoyed it, I have to admit I did to. I never liked them before getting my hands on him. Well anyway what substrate you'll using? I use all sphagnum/cypress with my torts but was thinking sand/coir for this fella. Whatcha all think?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Remember to take it in for a vet visit, being a WC import it will need a parasite check.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Make sure to escape proof your enclosure as well, so many stories about RT escaping...

herpgirl24

5 Year Member
Michigan
I use peat moss mixed with sand then I add a little cypress mulch. In the winter I also add some hay for them to dig around in while they are stuck indoors. I have used the coconut coir in the past and it worked great. I prefer the peat since it is a lot cheaper and I have 6 enclosures that use it!

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I'd say coir, soil, and/or cypress would be good.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
All of the above are great options. If you do add sand, then make it a smaller percentage than the rest. Lots use the coir or cypress or organic topsoil or fine orchid bark or some combination and they all work well.
You want the substrate to hold in some moisture in the lower levels.
Give him/her a soak every day for a few days, then 2-3x per week for about 15", in tepid to warm water up to their lower shell, as they can be dehydrated when you first get them.

Kailey

5 Year Member
I too am considering switching over to coir/playsand. Should I be worried about impaction? I can't always supervise my little Russian when it eats and it never keeps its food in the dish. Playsand has never been ideal for reptiles I've kept before, especially when their young, which is why I ask... :) I've also noticed bits of dirt in its feces. Currently, it's on plantation soil/peat moss. Will coir/playsand hold moisture better? I think I have trouble keeping the substrate moist enough, I live in a rather dry climate. On that note, how frequently should I mist, and approximately how much water should I use? And finally, what volume should the ratio of coir to playsand be?

Sorry for all the questions... I'm new to this thing and I probably worry too much. ._.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I use a mix of 1/2 top soil with 1/2 coir for my russian, I used sand at first but switched to topsoil. I do have to keep on top of the humidity so the dirt doesn't get dry & powdery. I would recommend getting a gauge to measure humidity and when you notice it getting too low, then mist. I treat it like I'm watering plants when I add water to Betty's enclosure. You'll get a routine down in no time! I saw some sand in her eyes once and I didn't like that so I switched to the topsoil. Prob. just me being over paranoid but oh well! We can be extra cautious, it's ok. They love to burrow so be sure to have at least 2 hides, one on the cooler side & one on the warmer side. The website mentioned above is a great site to learn about Russians :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recommend against sand in any amount. I've just seen too many problems with it, even though some people use it and get away with it.

See if you can find an experienced tortoise vet and ask them how many people did NOT get away with it, compared to other substrates that work just as well, if not better.

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
When I first acquired my Russian I opted for a 50/50 coconut coir/playsand mix as my substrate. I found that the sand had a tendency to stick to Leroy's face though, so I decided to toss that mix and experiment a little bit. What I'm using now is 2 parts coco coir, 2 parts cypress mulch, 1 part playsand and 1 part organic topsoil. Yeah, it's probably a little bit more complicated than necessary, but so far I've had nothing but good results. Leroy really seems to enjoy digging around in it, and it doesn't stick to him nearly as much as the 50/50 mix did. After reading Tom's post above though (and other bits of info pertaining to sand as substrate) I may eliminate the playsand entirely when it comes time to replace the substrate.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I second Tom on the no sand part. Many torts eat it and get impacted. Not a chance I am willing to take. I use coco coir and have no problems at all! :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
My guys are in 100% coco coir (coconut fiber), and they really seem to like it. They burrow down into it, and it retains moisture well, so they have a nice, humid microclimate down there.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
Leroy said:
When I first acquired my Russian I opted for a 50/50 coconut coir/playsand mix as my substrate. I found that the sand had a tendency to stick to Leroy's face though, so I decided to toss that mix and experiment a little bit. What I'm using now is 2 parts coco coir, 2 parts cypress mulch, 1 part playsand and 1 part organic topsoil. Yeah, it's probably a little bit more complicated than necessary, but so far I've had nothing but good results. Leroy really seems to enjoy digging around in it, and it doesn't stick to him nearly as much as the 50/50 mix did. After reading Tom's post above though (and other bits of info pertaining to sand as substrate) I may eliminate the playsand entirely when it comes time to replace the substrate.

my tort had the sand all over his face and in his eyes. i use regular dirt and coconut husk. Tanker loves to borrow in it. i put the coconut husk around his water dish to help his water stay clean and him too.

mer001

5 Year Member
Virginia Beach, VA
Tnewton said:
Ok, my son finally talked me into getting a russian. He saw one at petco and really enjoyed it, I have to admit I did to. I never liked them before getting my hands on him. Well anyway what substrate you'll using? I use all sphagnum/cypress with my torts but was thinking sand/coir for this fella. Whatcha all think?

I have heard many people disagree with using sand as a substrate, and i would agree with them.. I adopted a russian from a lady who used only sand and he seemed very dried out. I have switched him to a nice mix of coco fiber (brick) along the whole enclosure then sprinkle a good layer of coconut bark over top. Im not very experienced but he seems to love it and digs like crazy :) its also important i have learned to give the russian weekly "soaking" time to help make sure they dont become overly dry.

best wishes to you and your new tort :)

Status
Not open for further replies.