Russian tortoise questions :)

Turtleneck123

Hey guys so I have a few questions about Russian torts:

1) can I give my tort a little raspberry? Blueberry ?

2) I gave Tomas a green apple core and he really liked it and I didn't expect him to eat a lot. Can it cause a tummy ache?

3) Tomas' growth rings seem to be getting thicker and they are white. When will they turn brown just like the rest of his shell?

4) is there a difference between bird cuttlebones and tortoise cuttlebones ?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Fruit is not Good for them. They are not able to process the sugar. It should not red more than very rarely as a treat at the most.
Growth rings will change Some, but not to match the shell.
No difference.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. Fruit is not good for them. Your tortoise is not going to instantly flip over and die if you give it one, but I wouldn't recommend it. Tortoises don't need "treats". They need a high fiber, high volume, calcium rich diet. Feed your tortoise some grape or hibiscus leaves instead.
2. Yes. See above. Fruits are too high in sugar and it can cause problems with the gut flora and fauna.
3. That is normal and yes it will darken up.
4. No. Same product from the same source. I buy them in bulk bags.

missjmg19

Mid-Atlantic USA
1. Fruit is not good for them. Your tortoise is not going to instantly flip over and die if you give it one, but I wouldn't recommend it. Tortoises don't need "treats". They need a high fiber, high volume, calcium rich diet. Feed your tortoise some grape or hibiscus leaves instead.
2. Yes. See above. Fruits are too high in sugar and it can cause problems with the gut flora and fauna.
3. That is normal and yes it will darken up.
4. No. Same product from the same source. I buy them in bulk bags.

Do they typically like the cuttlebones? Our little guy just seems to push it around by mistake. lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do they typically like the cuttlebones? Our little guy just seems to push it around by mistake. lol

Some tortoises ignore them. Some tortoises ignore them for months and then munch them all down in one day. I don't worry about it. I just keep one in there. If they eat it, I replace it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hey guys so I have a few questions about Russian torts:

1) can I give my tort a little raspberry? Blueberry ?

2) I gave Tomas a green apple core and he really liked it and I didn't expect him to eat a lot. Can it cause a tummy ache?

3) Tomas' growth rings seem to be getting thicker and they are white. When will they turn brown just like the rest of his shell?

4) is there a difference between bird cuttlebones and tortoise cuttlebones ?
Fruits are not good for torts. But you could give your tort some, every now and again as a treat.:)