Russian tort humidity

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
1. Cover the enclosure. You won't get it higher in an open table

2. Mix water into the substrate. Take the decor out, tip water in from a jug and mix with your hands. Repeat until all of it is evenly damp right to the bottom and into the corners.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
1. Cover the enclosure. You won't get it higher in an open table

2. Mix water into the substrate. Take the decor out, tip water in from a jug and mix with your hands. Repeat until all of it is evenly damp right to the bottom and into the corners.
I highly recommend what JoesMum said! I do these for my hatchling enclosures and humidity stays above 80% without me even having to use a humidifier.

lil foot

indiana
How high should huminty be for him he's about 4 in I have no idea how old he is and is ok to mix all that water with coco fiber

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
How high should huminty be for him he's about 4 in I have no idea how old he is and is ok to mix all that water with coco fiber
4 inches is still a baby, so I would recommend "hot and humid" in the enclosure. Get all the substrate damp but not soaked or soggy. Too much moisture in the substrate will cause problems. Then cover the enclosure to hold the moisture in and the heat from the lights.

Do you just use coco coir? I mix 50/50 organic topsoil with coco coir, about 5" deep. And I have a top layer of cypress mulch.

Urbanmonkey

Derby uk
Built a tortoise table cover from a £5 thick plastic sheet (b&q) and some wood (100m x200m) cost about £10 in total. My humidity is 80% after spraying down to 70% about 10hrs later.

Attachments

• 20181204_073956.jpg
    20181204_073956.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 22
  • 20181204_074028.jpg
    20181204_074028.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21

lil foot

indiana
4 inches is still a baby, so I would recommend "hot and humid" in the enclosure. Get all the substrate damp but not soaked or soggy. Too much moisture in the substrate will cause problems. Then cover the enclosure to hold the moisture in and the heat from the lights.

Do you just use coco coir? I mix 50/50 organic topsoil with coco coir, about 5" deep. And I have a top layer of cypress mulch.
Ya just coco fiber I'll check in to the rest

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm of a different school of thought than what's been posted above. If your little Russian tortoise is about 4" front to back, it's no longer a baby. I would say it's an older juvenile, almost adult. The humidity isn't as important for a tortoise of your tortoise's size, as it is for a baby tortoise. I would think 50% humidity is ok for a Russian tortoise sized such as yours.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I am in total agreement with Yvonne as is our Russian care sheet when it comes to adults.

That Russian is full grown or nearly so and doesn’t need high humidity. He comes from an extremely dry climate and is not well suited to higher humidity. It doesn’t hurt to dampen the substrate a bit but he doesn’t need a covered enclosure.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I am in total agreement with Yvonne as is our Russian care sheet when it comes to adults.

That Russian is full grown or nearly so and doesn’t need high humidity. He comes from an extremely dry climate and is not well suited to higher humidity. It doesn’t hurt to dampen the substrate a bit but he doesn’t need a covered enclosure.
Very true, my bad. I often associate 4" size to still being babies, but smaller species like the Russian it would be almost an adult. Sorry!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

I am in agreement too. I answered the original question, but didn't enquire about the size.