Russian Tort Squeak Sounds

ambbeeee

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi everyone!

My 1 year old Russian tortoise has been making small “squats/quacking” noises during his soaks. He may be doing them outside of his soaks as well but I have only been noticing them while he is soaking. Is this normal?
I have read that this could be a sign of URI, however he is not presenting with any other symptoms. His appetite is still good, and his eyes and nose look normal. He is attentive.
Enclosure parameters are as follows:
Temps under heat lamp are 95-100, warm side is 80-90, cool side is 75-80. Heat lamp is turned off at night. He has a heated humid hide that he sleeps in, which stays in the 80s at all times. Humidity is 60-80% throughout the day.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
One of my Russians squeaks during soaks a lot. I’ve also read that it could be a sign of an RI and so i just keep an eye on him for other signs and sometimes I bump up the heat in his enclosure if he seems lethargic or isnt eating as much. It’s been going on since I got him nearly 2 years ago so at this point I think he just has squeaky sinuses but I still stay vigilant for the day that it develops into something else. That’s my approach anyway. Hope that’s helpful.