Russian Tortoise behavior changed

Titan24

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hello all, for context my tortoise titan has lived in my childhood room for 15+ years. Now he is in our living room by our window in a nice sized tortoise enclosure.

I noticed a behavioral change in Titan. He seems way less active now, doesn’t walk around his area much or plays on his rock, or hump his rock (a whole different story I believe titan really needs to mate now) he is still eating however it’s just unsual to see him less active. Not sure if it’s the location now, maybe his bedding (he’s able to dig more with this bedding) , or the temperature in the house (pretty hot and humid for most part summer in Jersey no ac in living room)

Anyone have any advise or suggestions or clarity as to why Titans behavior changed?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Should not be in front of a window where temps can not be controlled. He may be too hot.
Also a new location will set them back until they get used to it.
Only his basking area should be 95-100, the rest of the enclosure should range from 75-80 and can go as low as 60's at night
Block or remove him from the window and check temps with a temp gun.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I don’t suppose we could get a photo of your full set up? What size is it?

Like wellington said, it could be getting too hot by the window.

What are your temps? Ie basking area directly under the bulb? Overall day temp? Night temp? A good way to check is with a temp gun. Coupled with 24/7 monitors.

What type of basking light are you using? Do you use indoor uv?

What is his substrate?

How’s his diet?

Hopefully answers to these questions can help people advise you further🙂

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Some curtains might help if you can't move it further away from the window. But a thermometer will be your guide on whether it is too hot. Try to aim for the temperatures that @wellington mentioned. And answer the questions on this thread.

And no, he doesn't need a mate. Tortoises do best alone or in groups with proper male to female ratio. For Russians it is usually best to keep them alone.