Russian Tortoise Behavior

amrad

Hey everybody! I got a 2 year old Russain Tortoise, named Sampson, back in August and he has been nothing but a joy for me. Now that I've had him for a little while I was wondering what normal behavior is for a tort like Sampson once he's settled into his environment. How is he supposed to act and react when he sees me? How about when I hold him? He fits in my palm and I like to brush his arm and the top of his head with one of my fingers(usually occurs without flinching even with his head). I'm also curious about other observed behavior and tort actions that are normal. I just always wonder about the psychology of these little guys and would like to be able to recognize how my tort may be feeling

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Most tortoises will chill once they know that your touching them wont hurt them. A lot of them seem to LIKE being touched after a while. (Not mine.) They will know that seeing you means food and everything that's good and will come walking over to see what you have for them. I have a tortoise that chases after my wife at top tortoise speed whenever he sees her. He loves her. Me, not so much. I have a male Red Foot, only about 8", but he tries to head butt me and bite me whenever I'm in his pen doing any maintenance work. He patrols his domain 24/7 and rarely sleeps while in the next pen is another Red Foot of about the same size that sleeps at least 21 hours a day. They're all different.

amrad

Are there common differences in behavior between males and females? When kept on their own