Russian Tortoise Behavior

Tortoisesarecool

Location (City and/or State)
Converse Texas United States
Hello everybody! My Russian tortoise has buried herself for quite a while now and im starting to get a little worried about her. Usually she would only stay buried for a day or two at most and then spend the next few running around and other tortoise things. However, it has been almost 4 days that she has been buried. It is still summertime here in Texas so I am wondering, is this normal behavior or should I dig her out?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They hate change. I normally unbury daily and check the tortoise, reinstate substrate, spritz the substrate with water etc... when I provide fresh food and water. 4 days is a long time. I would investigate.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Also check temperatures and setting are ax they should be etc... Then let it settle in and view from a distance to let it explore etc...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello I have a little Russian also and I never let him go 4 days without checking him. I'll only let him lay around for a couple of days in the winter at the most. I don't hibernate him though. In the summer he doesn't really have a chance to be lazy because I take him outside everyday I can and then bring him inside in the evening. He likes being outside so he's usually looking for me. If I don't take him outside right away he'll go pout in his hide or is he just taking a break until I get to it.🐢

Tortoisesarecool

Update: Just unburied her. I inspected her shell and it seemed fine to me. There were little patches of shell that was chipped, but we took her to the vet for that reason so I don't think that was the cause. She hasn't gone for the food or water yet. I'm also going to mist her enclosure. Temperatures were also normal. About 90 for the warm side and 70 for the cool side.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I think it would be useful for you to provide us with full information on how she is being kept: enclosure, substrate, temperatures, humidity, lighting and diet. Also, a few pictures especially of the chips you mentioned that are on her shell? What did the vet say and do? Thanks.

Tortoisesarecool

I think it would be useful for you to provide us with full information on how she is being kept: enclosure, substrate, temperatures, humidity, lighting and diet. Also, a few pictures especially of the chips you mentioned that are on her shell? What did the vet say and do? Thanks.
I keep her in a 6x4x2 wooden box that we made a few weeks ago. The substrate is nofloat cypress mulch that we purchased when we built the box. It goes to about 8 inches deep. I've already mentioned that the temperatures go from 70-90⁰ (depending on the area the tortoise goes in). Humidity stays at about 40-60% (also depends on where the tortoise goes).
I have both a heat lamp and a uvb lamp. I have been feeding spring mix due to lack of non-pesticde weeds but I am going to purchase seeds to grow to feed her. She also has a calcium block.
I can't get any pictures of the shell right now, but the vet said to make sure that the enclosure doesn't get too dry. The chips have been healing as they have been getting smaller and smaller. They have never been rotting or bleeding. However, due to misinformation I used to keep her in an enclosure that was too small :(

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
As long as temps ok and food and water provided I suggest a routing of 3 shallow warm water soaks in a week for around 30 mins in a high sided container. Fresh food and water am, unbury tortoise let it be all day. Remove food eaten or uneaten at 16.00 17.00 and replenish water. That is my routine and they soon learn eat or it goes. They do sleep alot and as mentioned they hate change. As you have changed for the better get a routine and persevere they can test your patience. Hang in there.

Tortoisesarecool

As long as temps ok and food and water provided I suggest a routing of 3 shallow warm water soaks in a week for around 30 mins in a high sided container. Fresh food and water am, unbury tortoise let it be all day. Remove food eaten or uneaten at 16.00 17.00 and replenish water. That is my routine and they soon learn eat or it goes. They do sleep alot and as mentioned they hate change. As you have changed for the better get a routine and persevere they can test your patience. Hang in there.
Thank you for the response! I was planning to soak her tonight! I was worried she was sick as she hadn't paid much attention to food at all. I'll plan a routine. I'll feed and water in the morning and soak and clean in the afternoon.

Tortoisesarecool

Update: I gave her a soak for 30 minutes and she walked for a minute then decided to dig again. Could she have been dehydrated? She didn't really look like she was dehydrated. She was walking tall. Do you think she seems fine?

Tortoisesarecool

Update: I dug her out this morning after I set out some food. She ignored it and decided to bask. She has been there for maybe 30 minutes. Any reason why she doesn't seem interest in food or is it just the change? She was eating normally after a day when we moved her.