Russian Tortoise Breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroAT

5 Year Member
Hey everyone im new to this forum and new to trying to breed tortoises. this is something me and my girlfriend have been wanting to do for a while and are now going forward with. I have 2 Russian tortoises that are newly paired together and the male has tried a few times in the past to do what he can to mate noises and all but hen it stopped and they have not tried again for a little while now. i do know the sizes and the ages of the torts are in good range for them to reproduce. these also are both kept in doors year around due to where we live in Chicago. what i want to know what are the perfect indoor setups to have your torts breed in condition wise. such as substrate, tank temp / humidity, diet, etc etc anything and everything. below i will have pics and a vid of the male and female im trying to pair with one another. any and all tips/ help would be awesome thanks.Male and Female Russian Torts.

My male Russian is just over 8 years old and my female is just over 6 years old.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Many of the more experienced members here advise using coco coir for the substrate or mixing it with top soil. It hold moisture better and avoids impaction if your tortoise eats the substrate.

Good luck and welcome.

How large is your female?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i think you need a larger area, more natural, dirt for digging and laying. Also, I have heard, that to get them to breed, they need to go dormant in the winter. It sparks a more natural thing..
And 2-3 females, per male.. but not sure if that is more for agression issues or the more 'natural'.
good luck...
IF you do get eggs are you prepared with a incubator ?
'

CroAT

5 Year Member
WillTortoise said:
Many of the more experienced members here advise using coco coir for the substrate or mixing it with top soil. It hold moisture better and avoids impaction if your tortoise eats the substrate.

Good luck and welcome.

How large is your female?

Ah yes i agree i usually use the coco coir but had just recently ran out. im in the process of building them a new tort table so they get more room and when its done there will be pure top soil mix with coco coir with some nice live plans in it. thanks for your response.

CroAT

5 Year Member
Laura said:
i think you need a larger area, more natural, dirt for digging and laying. Also, I have heard, that to get them to breed, they need to go dormant in the winter. It sparks a more natural thing..
And 2-3 females, per male.. but not sure if that is more for agression issues or the more 'natural'.
good luck...
IF you do get eggs are you prepared with a incubator ?
'
yea a larger area is deff in the works right now, i could not agree with you more deff need to make it more organic and life like for them. and yes me and my g/f have a brand new incubator were dying to use. Thanks for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.