Russian Tortoise Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

BetsyTheTort

5 Year Member
I have bought my first Russian Tortoise, she is about 5 1/2 inches and 9 years old.

At the pet store they were feeding her and her friends kale. So I have been giving her Kale and Dandelion Greens. She seems to enjoy them but my real question is-

What do you feed your russian tortoises? Is their a schedule you use of greens that you put together?

I feed her once a day for as much as she can eat in an hour.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Amylialifrom hk

5 Year Member
U could ask the person who sales u the tortoise get to know more how she used to eat before she came to ur house

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Every week I buy something different. When I had more time I used to buy 3 different types, mix them and use that for the week but now I only get one type of green each week.

Things I usually get: Escarole, Endive, Chicory, Dandelion Greens, Kale, Collard Greens, Spring Mix, Red Leaf Lettuce, Green Leaf Lettuce
Things I get less frequently: Mustard Greens, Romaine Lettuce, Parsley, Arugula, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Bok Choy
Things I'll offer once in awhile: Yellow/Green Squash, Mazuri, Cucumber, Carrot, cactus pads
Things I'll offer when I get a chance to pick them from the yard: Rose of Sharon leaves/flowers, Hosta, Broad leaf Plantain, Dandelion leaves/flowers, fresh grass, Clover

Supplements I use: whole cuttlebone available in the enclosure for them, TNT sprinkled on food maybe twice a week

whitnaaaaaay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I just got my russian tortoise too! I took him to the vet, and she suggest his diet consit of many leafy greens, about 85%. Fruits and other veggies (peas, tomato, broccoli) should be 15% also, fed him once a day for twenty minutes. Torts are meant to eat large amounts in a little time. Hope that helped 😄

WITortoiseMom

5 Year Member
I've heard kale greens are very good. The whole key, or so I've read, is diversity. Change things up. :) I did buy timothy hay today as well...

Madeline

5 Year Member
What else do you guys recommend?

I've been feeding my Russian Tortoise mainly Romaine Lettuce. That was all we had that day we got him. I got him about three days ago. Today I bought him some Mustard Greens and Bok Choy and more Romaine Lettuce. I have been trying to have him eat the Rep-Cal Tortoise Food to balance his food because I don't know what a good balance is. My tortoise seems to eat about twice a day. Early in the morning and sometimes at night.

Tortilla1989

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
Okra Question???

How do you feed your tortoise Okra? I have never cooked or eaten Okra myself and I see it at the grocery store, want to try to feed it to my Tortilla but do I have to Slice it or Peel it? Just toss it in there and let her nibble on it??

Status
Not open for further replies.