russian tortoise enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
I have been constructing a russian tort outdoor enclosure. I used some cedar, yes, but it has been outside for 10 years in its previous life as a raised garden bed, and I also lined the inside with plastic and sealed everything with waterbased Behr stain. So I think they will be quite safe.
Since I live in the NW and am concerned about drainage with this kind of tort, I used www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16 for a lot of the ideas as their climate is similar.
It is 12' by 2.5' with 4' at one end sort of a greenhouse to keep one area dryer. It is 18" high.
I dug down 6-8" below the base, lined with heavy duty plastic fencing (galvanized fencing simply disintegrates in the NW), then bricks, then gravel. Then a layer of weed block fabric. The base substrate is peat moss + play sand, with topsoil over the top, and goes up another 8-12 inches. I assume the components will all eventually blend together. It is 'furnished' with cast offs from craigslist (lady thought I was crazy for taking broken up concrete, slate and stones...).
The little pool is from Home Depot as a waterfall accessory and is hooked up to the drip system I had in there previously to flush it a couple of times per week.
(I will add a solid top to the cinderblocks, for basking).

They are bulldozers, so I am sure they will rearrange things, although the basic structures are pretty stable. Plants are not in yet, but it is seeded with weed seeds in some areas.
Enough, here are the pics:
W/o screen:
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

W/ screen:
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks everyone!
I really like Albertaeb's (Alberta's) enclosure; wide open and chock full of weeds. However, we do have a lot of nocturnal visitors and bald eagles, so for my first attempt I wanted it very secure. Might be overkill, but I feel better.
Hmmm... build another enclosure and connect by bridge or tunnel...

muddoc

5 Year Member
South Louisiana
Awesome ideas went into the building of that, and it shows in the final product. Great job. As others have stated, I like the dry side idea of a "greenhouse".

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Thanks!
As mentioned, it seems as if some kind of greenhouse for outdoor tortoise enclosures is a given in the UK, so that was inspiring. The product was some leftover stuff we had, but because it is for a greenhouse, it does allow 'some' light penetration. I figure 'some' for 8-12 hours is better than none, and they still have the other area. Also, the greenhouse is really to allow a drier/warmer area to escape to, if needed. I am going to add some clear carpet liner to the door soon.
Will post more pics when the plants and weeds grow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's pretty nice, Lynne. Good job!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mrfun39 said:
Looks cool;}

Hi mrfun39:

Please go to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself and your tortoises.

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
lynnedit said:
Thanks, all. The funny part is that my husband thinks we are done! ;)

LOL Cracks me up!
Your enclosure is very nice! What a lucky pair of torts.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Those are some pretty lucky torts being able to enjoy a very nice enclosure..

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
RE: russian tortoise enclosure-update see page 2

Here are some updated pics of the outside enclosure. Took my birthday money and shook my fist at the weather, lol.
The homemade 'cold frame' roof has been raised to accommodate a brood fixture with basking light (not MVB, because someday there WILL be enough sun), on a thermostat, because the days have been dreary (50's) and wet. If it warms up enough (this happens when the sun hits the enclosure), then the light will go off.
The cold frame stays quite dry, partly because I used tons of GE silicon seal.
There is also a small 'hound heater' which has a built in thermostat set about 60-62 (still fine tuning this), because the nights have been in the 40's. That gives a background warmth.
This is my way to get around our weather to extend their season. They can still go out for a bit and explore during the day, but they do come back in to warm up under the light. The enclosure is not as big as I would like, but is secure.

Screen closed
IMG_0010.JPG

Screen open
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG

Cold frame
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG

They have been much more active since being in the routine of being out there all day unless it is a downpour.
You should be able to see them in the pics; More likes it warm, Less likes it cool :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.