Russian Tortoise eye problem

LR72

Location (City and/or State)
London, Enfield
Hey, I’ve recently got a 1 year old Russian tortoise from a breeder and she’s been having some problems since yesterday. Firstly, she had begun sneezing which I was suprised at because i had never heard her sneeze before but i figured that she git some of the grape i gave her as a treat in her nose, today, shes been blinking one eye at a time and sometimes one of her eyes stay shut longer than the other.

I keep her on hemp bedding with some topsoil beneath it as i heard that topsoil causes problems but i kept it because I know that it holds moisture pretty well. Under her uva/uvb lightbulb is around 38 degrees celsius and other places from 18 - 15 degrees when her light is off
Her table is around 3-4ft long and she is very active.

I’ve been feeding her a mixture or Kale, Romaine lettuce and spider plant but i will implement more weeds once i start seeing them more as the seasons change.

Please help me as i am already very attached and really do not want Sami to suffer or die.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First no fruit ever!
Second what type of bulbs are you using? If they are the coil fluorescent type that could be the eye problem. If not the coil type, what kind and how close are the lights to the tort?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey, I’ve recently got a 1 year old Russian tortoise from a breeder and she’s been having some problems since yesterday. Firstly, she had begun sneezing which I was suprised at because i had never heard her sneeze before but i figured that she git some of the grape i gave her as a treat in her nose, today, shes been blinking one eye at a time and sometimes one of her eyes stay shut longer than the other.

I keep her on hemp bedding with some topsoil beneath it as i heard that topsoil causes problems but i kept it because I know that it holds moisture pretty well. Under her uva/uvb lightbulb is around 38 degrees celsius and other places from 18 - 15 degrees when her light is off
Her table is around 3-4ft long and she is very active.

I’ve been feeding her a mixture or Kale, Romaine lettuce and spider plant but i will implement more weeds once i start seeing them more as the seasons change.

Please help me as i am already very attached and really do not want Sami to suffer or die.
Please start here:

At the end is a link to a care sheet for your species. It is very likely you will discover the cause and also the solution to your problem in this info.

LR72

London, Enfield
First no fruit ever!
Second what type of bulbs are you using? If they are the coil fluorescent type that could be the eye problem. If not the coil type, what kind and how close are the lights to the tort?
Hey, thanks for your reply, the distance between the tortoise and the light is around 7 inches

As i am not 100% sure on what the lamp specifications are, here is the link.

YeenGreen Tortoise Heat Lamp,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09BZKDXZ8/?tag=

I also have this one but i don’t have a lamp which works with it yet, could you please recommend me one. Much appreciated.

Reptile Mercury Vapour 80 Watt... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076VKBXS1/?tag=

LR72

London, Enfield
Please start here:

At the end is a link to a care sheet for your species. It is very likely you will discover the cause and also the solution to your problem in this info.
Thank you so much!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you so much!
Oh you are welcome. Questions and conversation are welcome after you take all that in. Please feel free to question any of it and ask for more explanation wherever needed. We will help figure out and solve your problem. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
7 inches is way too close. Most should be around 16 inches but for sure not lower then 12 inches.
I can't see the links you posted as they are for the UK and it wants me to change countries.
A tube fluorescent for uvb should be used. Then use a incandescent flood bulb for basking not a mercury vapor bulb as they are to drying, intense and causes pyramiding.
Also follow the links Tom posted for you.

LR72

London, Enfield
7 inches is way too close. Most should be around 16 inches but for sure not lower then 12 inches.
I can't see the links you posted as they are for the UK and it wants me to change countries.
A tube fluorescent for uvb should be used. Then use a incandescent flood bulb for basking not a mercury vapor bulb as they are to drying, intense and causes pyramiding.
Also follow the links Tom posted for you.
alright, thank you so much to everyone that is helping.

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
Hey, thanks for your reply, the distance between the tortoise and the light is around 7 inches

As i am not 100% sure on what the lamp specifications are, here is the link.

YeenGreen Tortoise Heat Lamp,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09BZKDXZ8/?tag=

I also have this one but i don’t have a lamp which works with it yet, could you please recommend me one. Much appreciated.

Reptile Mercury Vapour 80 Watt... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076VKBXS1/?tag=
@LR72

As mentioned by Wellington, you'll need to get yourself a linear UVB light and fitting - Arcadia's T5 12% kit is a great choice and used by many keepers https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084ZMW697/?tag=. You'll only need to buy the kit once, as you can buy the bulbs separately thereafter.

I would send back the MVB and buy the above for UVB needs.

For basking light and heat, I would get yourself a flood basking bulb - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018QYK0Y2/?tag=

Get yourself spare bulbs if funds allow so you're not panicked if a bulb ceases to work!

Price compare on Swell Reptiles website as Amazon isn't always the cheapest for reptile supplies.

LR72

London, Enfield
I honestly cannot thank you guys enough, not to turn this into a sob story but ive wanted a tortoise for over 10 years now (im 16) and now that i have one and im noticing problems, i got really worried.

anyways, once i get all the equipment would the tortoise’s eye get better by itself or would i have to do something about it?

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
The good thing is you are paying close attention to your tort, and noticed something isn't right. Next step now is to follow the care sheet Tom linked for you and make the changes needed to create the right environment for your tort. Most issues are caused by incorrect husbandry, so hopefully things will improve once you've adjusted things, but keep monitoring. Get yourself an infrared temperature gun so that you can monitor enclosure temps closely. Tortoises need a temperature gradient, so take a note of the recommended basking, warm, cool and ambient temps for your species.

Providing photos of your enclosure and tort can help members suggest other improvements if needed.

What's your tort's name?

LR72

London, Enfield
The good thing is you are paying close attention to your tort, and noticed something isn't right. Next step now is to follow the care sheet Tom linked for you and make the changes needed to create the right environment for your tort. Most issues are caused by incorrect husbandry, so hopefully things will improve once you've adjusted things, but keep monitoring. Get yourself an infrared temperature gun so that you can monitor enclosure temps closely. Tortoises need a temperature gradient, so take a note of the recommended basking, warm, cool and ambient temps for your species.

Providing photos of your enclosure and tort can help members suggest other improvements if needed.

What's your tort's name?
Yeaaa ill definitely be following it, i’m not going to be able to make any big changes apart from substrate change until i get my £200 from my school in either feb or march but the second i do, i’ll be giving her much better conditions.

Her name is Sami :)

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I honestly cannot thank you guys enough, not to turn this into a sob story but ive wanted a tortoise for over 10 years now (im 16) and now that i have one and im noticing problems, i got really worried.

anyways, once i get all the equipment would the tortoise’s eye get better by itself or would i have to do something about it?
Hello and welcome from Devon. When my tortoise Zola seems to have some eye irritation, I use Viscotears liquid gel - you can get it in Boots and other chemists - it's not expensive. A little blob on the eye will liquify, and spread over it - it is sold for humans, but is harmless, and always works for Zola. You can use it as often as you need, and it is more efficient than eye drops, which run off at once.
Best wishes from
Angie

LR72

London, Enfield
Hello and welcome from Devon. When my tortoise Zola seems to have some eye irritation, I use Viscotears liquid gel - you can get it in Boots and other chemists - it's not expensive. A little blob on the eye will liquify, and spread over it - it is sold for humans, but is harmless, and always works for Zola. You can use it as often as you need, and it is more efficient than eye drops, which run off at once.
Best wishes from
Angie
Okay thank you Angie!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Okay thank you Angie!
One other thing I do for Zola every morning is wipe his eyes with a cotton-wool pad ~one of those flat ones,I mean, dampened with boiled but cooled water - and I wipe his nose as well. I just feel it's good to remove anything sticky. Zola is quite used to it and doesn't make a fuss. He is 22, by the way - a Hermann's.
It would be lovely to see a photo of Sami.
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Best wishes from
Angie
This is a good idea seeing someone has already had experience with the product
However, this will not fix the problem and that's what has to be done. The problem needs to be figured out and fixed. I do think if you follow all the advice, the eye will be fine and clear up

LR72

London, Enfield
This is a good idea seeing someone has already had experience with the product
However, this will not fix the problem and that's what has to be done. The problem needs to be figured out and fixed. I do think if you follow all the advice, the eye will be fine and clear up
Alright thank you wellington, I'll be sure to purchase this.