Russian tortoise habitat

Sebastian17

I'm planning on bringing home a young Russian tortoise in a few weeks. I will be building an outdoor pen for long term home but not until we have back yard fenced in. I plan to keep him in an enclosure on the back porch to start out. Is a 3 1/2 foot diameter kiddie pool big enough for a young tortoise to be housed in for the first few months? He would have the run of the back porch in evenings when I'm home but would be in pool during the day. Thanks for any input

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England

Sebastian17

Thanks! I've decided on a larger enclosure that will give him more room to stay active. Also, between living in south Florida and using a smaller, more closed in area for a while, I think the humidity level will be manageable. I don't know exactly how old he will be. There is a large reptile show coming nearby soon and I'm hoping to find a young Russian tortoise there. I'm not in a hurry because I want the setup to be right before bringing a tortoise home. Thanks for the links. I appreciate the info.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You may find you get a better started individual direct from a breeder than you do at a reptile show. Be choosy about your tort and who you get it from.

Sebastian17

I have a friend who breeds Redfoot torts and she's attending the reptile show as a vendor ahead of the show I'm going to. She's going to check it out and give me her opinion on if there is a good breeder with Russians there. I do want to be picky

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Did you ever get your russian tort?