Russian Tortoise Has something in His anal .. and struggles to poop

speck

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My Pet Russian , has been avoiding FOOD ! 2days ago this has been goobg on , i thought that he might be going to hibernation but really? tortoise dont hibernate now , well i only feed him lettuce bc its his favorite and i soak him, he always has available water , but there something in his buthole .. he struggles and now is sleeping way to much idk whats wrong with him ik he struggling and in pain . please tell me whats going on !

image.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Can we see a picture of your enclosure? What is your basking temp? How long are you keeping your lights on?

Just lettuce is nowhere near a complete or adequate diet for a tortoise. It probably gives them less energy than it takes to eat it, as it’s mostly water. Your tortoise should be getting mostly weeds from outside and very little grocery store food.

mom not entirely sure what that is. I almost think it could be a penis, but Im pretty sure I’m wrong.

speck

Florida
I would soak your tort a lot more daily, but If you look closely, there appears to be a long hair stuck there.
Update , He has a hair in his buthole , and i dont wanna pull it out bc what if he has ut tied up with a gut or somthing its to much if a risk..

speck

Florida
Looks likes his penis. Also I can see a hair on his tail.
he has a hair in his buthole yes i just saw that , but i dont wanna pull it out what if ut hurts his organs. tied up with a gut who knows.

speck

Florida
Can we see a picture of your enclosure? What is your basking temp? How long are you keeping your lights on?

Just lettuce is nowhere near a complete or adequate diet for a tortoise. It probably gives them less energy than it takes to eat it, as it’s mostly water. Your tortoise should be getting mostly weeds from outside and very little grocery store food.

mom not entirely sure what that is. I almost think it could be a penis, but Im pretty sure I’m wrong.
he has a hair in his buthole. i dont wanna pull it out bc it may he attached to his organs . what do i do?

jeneliza

burton michigan
Bath him in warm water, and let him sick, for at least 30 minutes, keep water warm, mine are one of my hair's a few years ago, my hair is down to the middle of my back, I just let mine in the bath for about 30 minutes, till she pooped, it came out, but I don't believe it causing the issue of not pooping,

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're doing your tortoise a great dis-service by only feeding him lettuce. There's not much nutrition at all in lettuce, and no fiber. What you see in the cloaca is his penis.

Place the tortoise in a tub that he can't climb out of and add shallow water. Allow him to scramble around in the tub, trying to get out, for 45 minutes to an hour. Eventually he will poop.

And improve his diet or you are shortening his life.

Please read this care sheet, paying particular attention to the diet section: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/