Russian tortoise hibernating or sick? Help

ecstasyrs90

5 Year Member
I have a russian male who I took in from a coworker about 3 years ago. Last year around fall he got inactive and would not open his eyes etc. We figured he was hibernating. We took him to a vet who said all was ok maybe a bit of dehydration so soak him and use eye drops. Well he wound up ok. In summer and spring he is fine, active as can be. About a week ago he started this crap again but now will not open his eyes at all for two days. Ive been soaking him like crazy and using the eye drops and nothing is changing. I really cannot afford a vet bill again, im having a baby, money is tight and I have 9 other reptiles. A few days before the not opening his eyes his eyes were all cloudy and odd. Has he gone blind? I do not know what to do. Im so worried about him

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
A few days before the not opening his eyes his eyes were all cloudy and odd.

Is he eating? Is he basking? Is he active at all? Are you still housing him on the pellets? Is he in an enclosure with one other tort (a pair?).

ecstasyrs90

5 Year Member
He isnt doing anything. Wont open eyes or eat. I have to bite the bullet and take him to a vet....he pooped while soaking and there is a small amount of blood. I dont want him to die. And it is different bedding that promotes humidity

And he is solo, always has been

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Any blood in the stool is an indication that something is very not right with this guy. Has he ever had a fecal done for parasites? Was the stool passed easily or did it seem like a strain on his part? And yes, I think a trip to the vet is in order now. Try to get a fresh fecal sample to take with you.

ecstasyrs90

5 Year Member
I had him soaking when he passed it and i dont know if he strained. Never had a stool sample done because it was never an issue. I have been soaking him so he will open his eyes.