Russian Tortoise Indoor Garden

russsiantortoiselover

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I would like to grow some plants indoors for my lovely tortoise to eat. He is a 15 year old male Russian tortoise named Vlad. I have a balcony where I could place a hanging basket, however, I live on a main street in a city, and I am kind of uneasy about feeding him plants that have grown in the middle of the city (polluted air/toxic particles etc). I have considered growing plants in his enclosure, however, he loves to dig and push his accessories around, so I feel like he would just absolutely destroy any plant I attempt to put in there.

I would like to grow flowers and/or grasses indoors since I have some window space and will happily consider indoor lighting or some kind of elaborate set up.

What flowers or plants do you suggest? Have you grown plants for your tortoise before? Any tips? What do they like? What is good for them? Are there any plants that regenerate easily that I could continuously grow?

Thank you for your help!

Avuwyy

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool, Merseyside
I’m horrid with keeping plants alive. But I’ve done quite well keeping spider plants, polka dot plants, African violets, saxifrages, boston ferns, and prayer plants alive (All fine to feed tortoises). They reside off to the side of my bedroom window (Bright indirect light). Every day I just go in and check to make sure the soil still has some moisture. If not, they get watered, if they do, I just give them a misting to increase humidity (And prevent crispy tips on the spider plant).

Spider plants are quite fast growing and hardy. I’ve found Boston ferns to be similar. Those are two I will definitely recommend for tortoises :) African violets are also quite easy to grow (At least in my experience), but they don’t really grow as quick as the other two I recommended.