Russian Tortoise is not herself...

Laura T

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire, USA
IMG_3755.JPG IMG_3754.JPG Hi All,
We adopted a Russian Tortoise back in December of 2016. She's been great, she gets regular soaks, eats a variety of lettuce and moves about her habitat often.

About 1.5 weeks ago I noticed she was less active but still eating her usual amount. Her eye started to stay closed more than open. And she became more lethargic and eating a lot less. Worried she had a vitamin deficieny (I read up on it), I gave her a baby food carrot soak (last Friday). I also started to soak her in h2o daily. Then on this past Saturday we noticed a white spot on her eye. So I was able to get her in with an exotic vet and he confirmed that she has a corneal abrasion. We took her home and started the drops immediately.

So here we are on day three of eye drops, and now she has both eyes shut and won't eat anything. She's worse than she was before the vet appointment. She'll open her "good eye" when I take her out and wake her up a bit. But she's very limp.

I'm at a loss and very worried. I just got home from work and she seems worse than this morning. She's technically my 7 year old sons pet and he's starting to panic.

The pictures were just taken.
Thanks!
Laura

(I pride myself on my reptile care as I've had an aquatic turtle for 35 years, so this is killing me that she's sick and I can't make her better)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco

Laura T

New Hampshire, USA
She has a Zoo Med Tortoise house (it's about 24x36) and she doesn't have a uvb light looking at the bulb. The vet said she looked good less the bad eye.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I asked for a photo so that we could see what is in your enclosure that may be harmful or what is missing.
Type of substrate, type of water dish, hides, etc, etc.
Are you saying she doesn't have access to UVB ?
You can't just feed lettuce, the water content is too high and although it contains nice vits and minerals there aren't enough by volume.
Also the tort table is too small, you need an absolute minimum of 4 foot by 8 foot for this active, territorial species. They need the space to digest their food properly whilst exercising.
Please read the links I posted and make adjustments or this tortoise could die.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Her beak is a little long and may need trimming, but that's not the answer to your current problem.