Russian tortoise malnourishment:(

Britnigilbert

5 Year Member
So I adopted a small russian today from a local pet store she had no lights and she was eating only dry foods never getting soaks and not being cared for at all she has been there for several months her shell has started to indent they said she never comes out and she is mean so nobody wanted her, I picked her up and introduced her to my sweet little guy and she came right out she is very sweet but skinney her skin seems baggy almost like her shell is 2 sizes two big :( I gave her a bath and some food she is now cuddled up with mine on his heating blanket in bed with me but I just want to know what are some things I can do to help make sure she is healthy and happy I want her to get better soon so she has more energy and feels good! are there supplements or just general everyday care will that help?I got her as a companion for mine who is a picture of health and the sweetest little dude I have met so I hope getting her in to his routine will help idk I'm not a expert! Help!ImageUploadedByTortForum1386991184.687852.jpgshe is the one more in her shell I know she looks okay but it's really kinda bad

Last edited by a moderator:

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I wouldn't have them together until you know the new one is healthy.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
Yes, you should probably keep them separate for a period of time (depends on who you talk to; 3-6 months) until you make sure she is healthy. You can set her up in a 50 gal Rubbermaid tub, but will need an MVB and fixture for her.
All of the good care you give to your current tortoise applies to the new one: soak daily for a week (coming from a pet store) then 2x per week or so, once she starts eating. A healthy green/weed rich diet. Access to water and cuttlebone. Adequate temps for basking, and UV.

If she doesn't eat, then use baby food soaks (one jar of strained carrots or sweet potato to a small tub) until she does. They can work wonders.

Britnigilbert

5 Year Member
Can she make my other one sick? She is healthy I took her to the vet she is just underfed and hasn't had proper lights but she isn't diseased

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
There can be other underlying problems with the new tortoise that the tortoise you already have can get. It's good to quarantine new tortoises for at least six months.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
they are together now ,so, try soaking her in pedialite,and i have soaked mazuri in pedialite for an added boost.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I would separate them, plus Russians don't do good in pairs to begin with

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
if i were you, I'd separate them. not only because the new tort might have something but because being together will stress them both out. and since she's not healthy and he is....well, we all know how it will end. Russian tortoises do not do well in pairs. sometimes if they've always been together it works but 9/10 with your situation the new tort will never feel comfortable enough to eat because the other will be pestering it. tortoises don't do well with change when healthy so you want to give the new tort the best chance possible. honestly, if your current tort is a male he will likely be aggressive towards the new one. i had two Russians together and eventually one started not eating or coming out and finally i saw actual bullying and biting ): take my advice!