Russian Tortoise - MultiDay Transport

nuttytortoisekeeper

Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City
So I've seen a couple of the posts on the forums regarding transporting tortoises. Dark transport options, etc. A couple even did refer to multiple day but in this case it is going to be almost a week as we are moving from the Intermountain Region to the Carolinas

At that length is there anything additional I need to be keeping an eye on? We're worried about stress for that length of time and had considered professional pet relocation and while I'm sure the fees they charge are reasonable they just aren't in the budget for this move.

Airlines were our first consideration but have no idea on the altitude changes (that's a concern for driving albeit more gradual) and it seems that most airlines don't allow tortoises anyway. Though if anyone knows of ones that do let us know.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have shipped tortoises on Delta. You could also get ahold of shipyourreptiles.com
Driving would be fine. Its summer so don't have to worry about getting too cold. Get a large tote box and use the stuff he uses now to make the tote box his home. When you stop for the night, put some uv on him and a basking bulb.

nuttytortoisekeeper

Salt Lake City
I have shipped tortoises on Delta. You could also get ahold of shipyourreptiles.com
Driving would be fine. Its summer so don't have to worry about getting too cold. Get a large tote box and use the stuff he uses now to make the tote box his home. When you stop for the night, put some uv on him and a basking bulb.
So on the driving and the box it seemed like the recommendation was something only slightly bigger than the tortoise. Are you saying it is better to just get his usual inhabitant in there for the multi-day trip.
Or should I take two. One for driving and one for night?

I’ll look into the shipping options as well. Not something we had considered given fears of the animal being out of sight but perhaps one of us could drive ahead during the move and then the other ships and gets on a plane.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I were driving with him, I would have a bigger tote box that I could put him in for the stop Rivers you make. Either ride with him in that or a smaller box.