Russian tortoise not eating

Web456

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I got a 4 year old Russian tortoise 5 days ago and he still hasn’t eaten should I be worried?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I got a 4 year old Russian tortoise 5 days ago and he still hasn’t eaten should I be worried?

Here is a care sheet on Russian tortoises. Follow and change whatever is needed:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Some questions would help readers know more on the situation.

1. Where did the tortoise come from? When was the last time this tortoise has had a checkup with an experienced exotics vet?
2. What the temperature levels in the 4 different zones? Basking spot, warm side, cool side, and overnight low cool side?
3. Do you have any information regarding the previous care given to the tortoise? Diet, housing conditions, and amount of UVB exposure?

Most tortoises will take time to be used to being in a new environment. Some may take much longer than others. Some tortoises, that come from pet shops and small backyard for profit breeding operations may require more help than others. This is where a vet visit is strongly recommended.

Web456

Missouri
He was a rescue and I got him from a trusted pet store, they said he was eating well before I got him. I know some can take a while to start eating when they go to a new home I was just wondering when I should start to worry about him not eating.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
and to add to the numbers above:

4. What was the tortoise eating at his last home?

Web456

Missouri
At the pet store they were feeding him greens and he was there for three months, I think I’m going to call them tomorrow and ask what kinds they were feeding him.