Russian Tortoise outdoor enclosure

Fell80

Location (City and/or State)
Southwest PA
I am just about finished up with my new outdoor enclosure for my Russian tortoise pair. I still need to make a top for the males side and add some mulch plants and burrows but the main construction is done. Let me know what you guys think. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgAnd my baby sulcata catching some sun

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Is there an inner lip, especially in the corners to stop escapes?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I guess I may be blind, but is there just one hide for the two enclosures? How well in heavy rain, does that gutter handle a heavy rain? Until plants grow, what about shade in the middle of the day? Water source?

I hope this is not sounding negative, just have lots of questions.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Also how big is each tortoise's enclosure. I do want to say, it is looking like a nice start and it is great they are getting outside time. :)

Fell80

Southwest PA
Each pen is 6x5. There is no lip but instead a lid that covers the entire pen. Plus the walls are two feet high at the shortest side. There are two hides in the males enclosure and one in the female so I will add another for her.

I don't see myself leaving the tortoises outside in any absolute downpours but yes the gutter can handle the rain. There is plenty of shade in the enclosure at all times of the day do to the roof and trees around the pens.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Keep an eye on the water pans to make sure they don't heat up too much. If they do, switch to ceramic plant saucers. They're easy to get in & out of, too. That's an easy fix should you need it.