russian tortoise scute damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
After giving my tortoise a bath i noticed a piece of his scute had flaked off and into the towel.

His shell is hard but theres pieces of his scutes that seem flakey. He has been this way since i adopted him.

The top of his shell especially has a lot of pieces missing. I bought him that way assuming it was just due to scratches or small damage because he seems really curious but i got scared today. No more has flaked from the top since i brought him home but theres some semi loose pieces on the bottom now.

Anyone kno whats wrong? He eats and acts normal :( he actually seemed really happy today. He hadnt eaten much the last couple days but feasted today and was extra active

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Do you have any pictures so we can better help answer your thread? That's good to hear how acting he is and eating well.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Pics definitely. Also i notice that a few of mine that live outdoors will damage scutes as they clamber around in the yard. Once there is damage it is pretty easy for those areas to flake off over time. I had one of my girls with a couple of big flakes this year.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Here are some pictures! I tried to get them as focused as possible.

I think Ive been taking good care of him :( he's been growing? the spacing in between scutes have all came in since i got him, especially noticable in the bottom middle and on the sides of the top.

Attachments

• _MG_3859.jpg
    _MG_3859.jpg
    936.9 KB · Views: 113
  • _MG_3852.jpg
    _MG_3852.jpg
    746.8 KB · Views: 68

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I see def. shell damage, but I can't say if it is new or old. How long have you have had him, is there a lot of the shell falling off. I suspect it is older damage.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That is really old damage. You see the areas where its very light, around the new growth and into some of the scutes? That's where the old dead bone has flaked off, showing the new growth of keratin underneath. I see other spots of old damage that are ready to flake off too. Don't hurry it along, and don't worry about it. What's happening is normal. Even if the old injury wasn't normal.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Thanks guys, thats a big relief! I panic a lot when it comes to him..

We're going on about 7 months :p <3 :tort:
I adopted him in mid march, a week after my birthday.

This is the first time since I got him that I noticed a significant piece fall off, it's still fairly small tho. I want to say less than a half inch.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
That looks fine to me as well. What is growing underneath looks healthy. Just keep doing what you are doing. He is flaking off old damage bit by bit and will look much much better in a couple if years.

Status
Not open for further replies.