Russian Tortoise size...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR.
Just wondered if anyone knew "what's the max size (inches) that a Russian Tortoise can grow to? M & F"
~Thanks

sportychick

5 Year Member
:) I think I've read.somewhere that females can be a little bigger then the 8"
Glad to help :D
How long have u had your tort? Do u have pics posted?

Akronic

5 Year Member
I would love to eventually have a pair that were maxed out in size. i think the largest male I've seen was barely over 6" but i have seen females 8"+, still takes forever to get to that size but must be extremely rewarding raising them from hatchlings.

some of the information on that Reptileparadise.com site was a little off: Life span-aprox 25yrs, more like 50 if well taken care of.
Cage-should be large instead of tall since it DOES NOT CLIMB MUCH....WRONG!!!!. (e.g. Wooden Terrarium, Glass Terrarium)
Hiding places- the worst thing you could use is a Heat Cave
Temp-if kept indoors and in most southern regions night time heat is not required, in fact they like the cooling off at night. not freezing OFC but cooler

sportychick

5 Year Member
Yeah I seen that too but its good.for.size and some other things. I come.on here for all my questions and chit chat :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
GeoTerraTestudo said:
In all Testudo species, the females get bigger than the males:

T. horsfieldii
Male: 5-8 inches
Female: 6-10 inches

That's true of all Testudo species except Testudo marginata where the males are typically thinner and longer bodied and females are shorter bodied but more robust with more body mass.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
Kerryann said:
A store here had a monster RF. I think she was over 10inches long.

There are some massive Russians out there. I've seen a ten inch male (not typical for males). A local breeder that I know has a female just under 13" (again not typical). My guess is that there are probably bigger specimens out there too.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
GBtortoises said:
That's true of all Testudo species except Testudo marginata where the males are typically thinner and longer bodied and females are shorter bodied but more robust with more body mass.

Ah, interesting. Well, sounds like the females are still more massive, just with shorter proportions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Kerryann said:
A store here had a monster RF. I think she was over 10inches long.

Hi Kerryann:

"RF" = redfooted tortoises
"RT" = Russian tortoise

I don't know if you just made a typo, or misunderstood that we were talking about Russians.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Russian Beast I recently aquired..She is about the same size as my other giant female; but this one is wider. I think this one is a different subspecies.
Untitled.jpg

IMG_20120503_113008.jpg

Both females are in 8 inches plus range.

Im currently looking for a male to step up to the plate. I went to check one out this afternoon..but he was tiny.

Side by size comparison.
IMG_20120428_153231.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.