Russian tortoise water

annaliesem

5 Year Member
I have one Russian tortoise that has not been properly cared for. He was in a glass cage with carpet instead of substrate he also has not had proper access to water. He has never been able to fully submerge himself in water, only partway. I am worried that if I provide a water dish for him to do so, that he will drown. he hasn't really had to use his natural instincts. He is supposed to be able to go completely underwater, right?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Annaliese!

No, land tortoises don't usually totally submerge. They have quite an air space in them that doesn't allow them to sink. Not true of all tortoises, but most.

Your tortoise will put his whole head in the water and drink through his nostrils and his mouth, but they generally don't submerge their whole bodies.

When you put a tortoise into a forced soak, you only have the water deep enough to come up to the middle of his sides - where the top meets the bottom.

annaliesem

5 Year Member
Thank you! That's the water level that he was provided before. When I gave him deeper water yesterday he seemed very happy and put his head under the water and began moving it around.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
If he was happy in the deeper water and you are there the entire time he is in it then there shouldn't be an issue. My two HATE the water and I try not to stress them to often with baths but when I do, I stand right there and wait for them to get their fill, otherwise, I put them in very shallow water inside thier garden and let them stay in it as long as they like, which is usually about a minute after I walk away, lol. My others, Sullys and Leos, will hang out swimming in the deep end of the tub and basking in the shallow end all day if I let them and the box turtles would live in the water if they could! They are all different and if you take the advice you get and start there and move toward what your turtle or tort seems most comfortable with you will never go wrong! About his insticts, he still has them. You would be surprised how quick they can come around. Use a terra cotta saucer sunk to be level with the ground in his house and he will be fine. Just keep an eye on him the first few times.

annaliesem

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for your help! I am new to tortoises. So if you have any other pointers I would be very appreciative!