Russian Tortoise

Squiggles

Location (City and/or State)
Arlington heights Illinois
I've written here a couple times but the computer is not my friend so I hope this finds the right people.

I have a Russian Tortoise that has stopped eating. After analyzing this forum I have made some significant changes but it seems to not have been enough.
He now has a 4x8 tortoise table similar to Krista's but not as fancy yet. The basking side is 80-95 depending on the time of day, the heat side is 90-100, in the middle 80--85, humidity is around 57-60. I can't seem to get it any higher. Substrate is coconut coir on the bottom and repti bark on top and a water dish he can sit in but right now doesn't use. I soak him every morning in warm water for 20 min give or take. We go outside 3-4 times a week for sun but there is a uv bulb in the cage until I can get the T5HO bulb and fixture. He has been to the vet 4 times in the last 2 weeks. They have force fed him twice. The last time 9 days ago. He has had a vitamin shot, blood work that said he had high white blood cell count, seven antibiotic shots, beak trim, x ray that showed no blockages, and he still is not eating. Except today he started eating dirt, but no food. I am open to any thoughts anyone may have.

nicoleann2214

NY
I've written here a couple times but the computer is not my friend so I hope this finds the right people.

I have a Russian Tortoise that has stopped eating. After analyzing this forum I have made some significant changes but it seems to not have been enough.
He now has a 4x8 tortoise table similar to Krista's but not as fancy yet. The basking side is 80-95 depending on the time of day, the heat side is 90-100, in the middle 80--85, humidity is around 57-60. I can't seem to get it any higher. Substrate is coconut coir on the bottom and repti bark on top and a water dish he can sit in but right now doesn't use. I soak him every morning in warm water for 20 min give or take. We go outside 3-4 times a week for sun but there is a uv bulb in the cage until I can get the T5HO bulb and fixture. He has been to the vet 4 times in the last 2 weeks. They have force fed him twice. The last time 9 days ago. He has had a vitamin shot, blood work that said he had high white blood cell count, seven antibiotic shots, beak trim, x ray that showed no blockages, and he still is not eating. Except today he started eating dirt, but no food. I am open to any thoughts anyone may have.
What are you trying to feed him?

Jan A

Boulder, CO

The antibiotics most likely have taken his appetite away & the shots & force feeding him probably traumatized him. @zovick @Yvonne G @wellington can speak better to trying to remedy the situation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The basking area should be the only area in the 90's.
The rest of thr enclosure 75-80 and then can drop no lower then 60 at night. Get humidity 50-80% higher number for babies.
The antibiotic will make them stop eating and there really should be no need for a vitamin shot if the tort was eating fine before hand.

Now, only while he is recovering from his vet trauma keep the night temps the same as the day temps.
Give him time without any more manhandling from the vet and see how he does
Soak daily in warm that has pureed baby food carrots and flavorless piedylyte for 30 minutes. Keep giving food daily.

Squiggles

Arlington heights Illinois
I have been feeding him any greens I could find. I went to the asian market and found things I couldn't find any where else. Not only has he been eating the dirt, but last night he started eating the repti bark. I set him on the floor and he tried to eat something there. Not his food though. I put his old cage inside the new one and put the hay back in that he was used to and he is just sleeping now. He gets a soak everyday and I will go get baby food and pedialyte. I read there was a hot side and a basking side so I got the 65W bulb from home depot and the ceramic heating element. Both are in use.