Russian trying to hibernate?

Bogie=babyDINO

Location (City and/or State)
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
So I don't own a russian nor do I know about hibernation. I know just about sulcata care. Anyway I work at the animal hospital attached to a petsmart and sometimes petsmart they will bring in their sick reptiles and small animals to our doctors. Our doctors are not trained in exotics so if its minor they'll prescribed ointment and what not.
This russian keeps coming in because its not eating. The doctor was at a lost how to help so I put in my 2 cents and told them they need to be soaking him in warm water everyday and change his water dish to something he can crawl into because he looks dehydrated. Next week I heard another doctor tryed syringing food into this belly and he was doing better. Today, I was working and the tort came in again for not eating.
I was thinking about it and maybe this poor tortoise is trying to hybernate and we are pumping him full of food. I told the doctor but he didn't seem concerned. What's gonna happen if that's the case and we don't let him hibernate? Could he die?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A lot of Russians right now are doing the same thing, including my own. Tell them to, like you said get a low sided water dish like a clay saucer and give fresh water daily. Make sure the temps are correct, I do 80 day and 75 night. Leave the lights on and bright at least 12 hours. Give fresh food daily, a variety and stop force feeding him and let him be. Mine and a lot other Russians on this forum do a slow down in winter even though we don't hibernate them.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I agree. He needs to be warmer and bright lights to convince him it is not winter.

Bogie=babyDINO

Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
A lot of Russians right now are doing the same thing, including my own. Tell them to, like you said get a low sided water dish like a clay saucer and give fresh water daily. Make sure the temps are correct, I do 80 day and 75 night. Leave the lights on and bright at least 12 hours. Give fresh food daily, a variety and stop force feeding him and let him be. Mine and a lot other Russians on this forum do a slow down in winter even though we don't hibernate them.
They keep bringing him back because he won't eat on his own. I'll let them know about the temps. I doubt they'll do it. Stupid pet smart