Russian vs. California desert

kkwonger14

Location (City and/or State)
Monterey Park, CA
Hi all,

Which breed is easier to maintain? Russian or California desert.

I recently lost my little guy, and a coworker who works with a rescue has asked if I wanted to adopt another.

They said that both species are social and we would need to take a pair, which I would love.

Just wondering which species is easier to maintain?

Thanks for your input!!

- K

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Either species you choose will not do well in pairs. Tortoises are not social they are territorial.. coming together only to breed. Back to which species would be easier will depend on the space you have avail. Russians stay smaller but still need a lot of space. Desert will get considerably larger and need much more space

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, never pairs and you should inform the rescue to learn more about tortoises before calling themselves a rescue.
The minimum space for a Russian is a 4x8 foot space, hopefully you can do bigger.
A DT will need a lot more.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Thank you! I will speak with them. I didn't think having a pair was a good idea either....
Whichever you decide make sure you check out specific species care on here and have an enclosure up and running before you bring home. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all,

Which breed is easier to maintain? Russian or California desert.

I recently lost my little guy, and a coworker who works with a rescue has asked if I wanted to adopt another.

They said that both species are social and we would need to take a pair, which I would love.

Just wondering which species is easier to maintain?

Thanks for your input!!

- K
What was your previous tortoise and how did you lose it?

Their care is very similar. Neither should be housed as a pair, ever. These two species, above all others, are probably the worse two to keep in a pair. That should give you some idea of the level of knowledge and experience of the people telling you that.

Here are some differences:
-During brumation, Russians need it colder. 36-39F compared to 48-50 for a DT.
-DTs eat more grass. Russians really are not grass eaters.
-Russians are the number one species for escape artistry. I'm pretty sure they can levitate when people aren't looking at them.
-Russians wiggle down into the dirt and disappear, kind of like a stingray or halibut, where DTs actually dig burrows to live in.
-DTs are twice the size. Russian males are 6 inches, while DT males are usually around 12. This means DTs will need larger enclosures.

Here is the current and correct care info for both:

And a bunch of general info to help too:

Questions are welcome.

kkwonger14

Monterey Park, CA
What was your previous tortoise and how did you lose it?

Their care is very similar. Neither should be housed as a pair, ever. These two species, above all others, are probably the worse two to keep in a pair. That should give you some idea of the level of knowledge and experience of the people telling you that.

Here are some differences:
-During brumation, Russians need it colder. 36-39F compared to 48-50 for a DT.
-DTs eat more grass. Russians really are not grass eaters.
-Russians are the number one species for escape artistry. I'm pretty sure they can levitate when people aren't looking at them.
-Russians wiggle down into the dirt and disappear, kind of like a stingray or halibut, where DTs actually dig burrows to live in.
-DTs are twice the size. Russian males are 6 inches, while DT males are usually around 12. This means DTs will need larger enclosures.

Here is the current and correct care info for both:

And a bunch of general info to help too:

Questions are welcome.
Thank you so much tom....

I lost my sulcata, he got out of his enclosure, don't even know how...and I'm assuming a coyote got him. I just upgraded his outdoor enclosure and he was doing so well.

I'm leaning towards the Russian, but if you say they are Houdini's then I have a lot of work to do on my enclosure.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you so much tom....

I lost my sulcata, he got out of his enclosure, don't even know how...and I'm assuming a coyote got him. I just upgraded his outdoor enclosure and he was doing so well.

I'm leaning towards the Russian, but if you say they are Houdini's then I have a lot of work to do on my enclosure.
OMG yes, they are escape artist for sure. Even when you think they can't get out, check the perimeter often. Mine escaped twice a few years ago. Have no idea really how, I just added more security around the fence. Luckily I found him.
Mine climbed straight up a tree once that was in his enclosure years ago.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Especially securing the enclosure corners is important with Russians. They also might climb under the fence, so you will have to either dig down the walls, or make a "floor" of wire underground. Predator proofing is also important.