Reduced tortoise appetite

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Amazing! The temperatures are all looking good in the warm side, but I may just hang it from the same lamp tomorrow morning. I put some tin foil over the mesh and it’s looking like it will create a nice night time temperature. That was a fabulous piece of advice and I’m delighted with it. A greenhouse will be ordered as well! 😊

As a side note, what can I do for him to help with his stress? I’ve been bathing him, and changing his food regularly, but he’s still burying himself deep into his hide. This is only day two in the new enclosure, and obviously there have been some temperature tweaks I’ve made since then, so this may also throw him off even more so.

For example, I bathed him today, so will I leave him be tomorrow (usually he gets a bath 2-3 times a week, but I’m not sure if it should be more regular to help him along)? And sometimes I scoot some of the substrate away so he sees the light to wake up, but should I just completely leave him be? My concern is that he won’t come out to bask or eat if I don’t “delicately” intervene. I’m also concerned that he’ll be cold to touch and I won’t know unless I check.

I don’t handle him except for bath time, and I’m very conscious of that being a stress factor too.
He needs a routine - same things at the same time. He can get used to the required handling - like bathing or moving between enclosures for the night and so on.

He has reasons to stay in the hide - like low temperature so he waits until it rise up a bit. Sometimes tortoises misinterpret the situation and "gentle intervention" may be needed. A better solution, of course, is to correct environment conditions.

CaggyQ

Donegal
Another day… another update!

This is the updated setup. I’ve had to work on the stand my friend made so I needed to improvise!

Unfortunately the light is 6% (the store were fab, but return via a service was going to be tricky on my side), so it needs to be closer to Yoshi than I hoped. I can update to 12% when the bulb needs changed. Raging at myself that I messed that up.

I’ve had to attach it as shown. It’s not pointing directly down, but immediately Yoshi came out to see what was going on: he’s now basking and exploring with is a MAJOR development! Temperatures are excellent and I’ve also changed to the normal basking bulb. I haven’t moved the ceramic yet because it’s a perfect temp on that side.

Still a work in progress but when I troubleshoot my friends stands, it will be ready to go 😊

I also removed the big rock for more run space! I’m planning to add some live plants for enrichment.

Attachments

• IMG_3332.jpeg
    IMG_3332.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3333.jpeg
    IMG_3333.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1

CaggyQ

Donegal
I’m planning to get rid of the hay too. I just wanted to get the temperatures regulated first 😊

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It seems that despite all this conversation and efforts, the enclosure is too cold. @Tom may have the secret solution in this situation. His experience is key.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It seems that despite all this conversation and efforts, the enclosure is too cold. @Tom may have the secret solution in this situation. His experience is key.
They’ve managed to get their temps up based on the latest update which is fab! Well done @CaggyQ all the other updates sound good too! Really happy for you🥰

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Another day… another update!

This is the updated setup. I’ve had to work on the stand my friend made so I needed to improvise!

Unfortunately the light is 6% (the store were fab, but return via a service was going to be tricky on my side), so it needs to be closer to Yoshi than I hoped. I can update to 12% when the bulb needs changed. Raging at myself that I messed that up.

I’ve had to attach it as shown. It’s not pointing directly down, but immediately Yoshi came out to see what was going on: he’s now basking and exploring with is a MAJOR development! Temperatures are excellent and I’ve also changed to the normal basking bulb. I haven’t moved the ceramic yet because it’s a perfect temp on that side.

Still a work in progress but when I troubleshoot my friends stands, it will be ready to go 😊

I also removed the big rock for more run space! I’m planning to add some live plants for enrichment.
Good to know, that Yoshi went exploring!

But, not so good news is that UVB lamp is useless when mounted this way. Reflector directs light to the wall. It has to be mounted top-down. Any wooden plank should work (maybe even a broomstick and plastic ties as a temporary solution).

If you don't want to move CHE, make at least a safeguard (e.g. a metallic cord from basking lamp stand to CHE dome hanging bracket), so when clamp fails the dome won't fall on substrate.

CaggyQ

Donegal
It seems that despite all this conversation and efforts, the enclosure is too cold. @Tom may have the secret solution in this situation. His experience is key

Good to know, that Yoshi went exploring!

But, not so good news is that UVB lamp is useless when mounted this way. Reflector directs light to the wall. It has to be mounted top-down. Any wooden plank should work (maybe even a broomstick and plastic ties as a temporary solution).

If you don't want to move CHE, make at least a safeguard (e.g. a metallic cord from basking lamp stand to CHE dome hanging bracket), so when clamp fails the dome won't fall on substrate.
Hi Alex,

Super. That’s really good to know - and does it need to be in a centralised location? I will re - examine tomorrow.

I had no idea those clamps are prone to failing! Alex I really appreciate the heads up on that.

so sorry for these endless messages - I feel like I’m taking up too much time on the forum!

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
so sorry for these endless messages - I feel like I’m taking up too much time on the forum!
There’s literally no such thing on here please never worry in that regard! It’s so nice having members who keep checking in with updates and questions, there’s so many we don’t and never find out out the tortoise got on😕