Sad news

CLittleSmith

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
I'm sad to say that our little Speed Rocket (a sulcata hatchling) passed away today. I suspect a vitamin A deficiency, but wasn't able to get to the vet in time to know for sure. All my temperature and humidity settings matched the guidelines available here, and he ate mostly grass & weeds, with a calcium & Mazuri added every few days. He got plenty of real sunshine (MVB when indoors), and was soaked regularly. He stopped eating around mid-week, and was lethargic with closed eyes by Friday. This wasn't the first time he's stopped eating, but I've always been able to turn things around by adding carrots to his bath. Unfortunately, this time was different: by this afternoon he had significant bruising, and passed in the early evening. My whole family is feeling pretty blue about it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm so very sorry. Sometimes this happens no matter how right we have their care. It's usually either a bad start from the breeder or just something we don't know.

daniellenc

Maryland
Sometimes it just happens especially if he wasn’t started well. Look up hatchling failure syndrome and something you couldn’t have avoided. I’m very sorry for your families loss.

Bee62

Germany
I am sorry for your loss.
Why do you think it was a lack of vitamin A ? That is very unnusual when a tort is eating.
I think the problem began before you got your baby: with a dry start from the breeder. There is nothing you could have done.
Healthy sulcata babies eat every day with a lot of appetite. When your baby was different there was something wrong with him but it was not your fault.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Do an autopsy yourself . Pretty high chance there’s bladder stone before you bought him .

CLittleSmith

Sacramento, CA
Thanks all. Bee, it was really just a guess based on symptoms I read up on (eyes closed, lethargic, no appetite, but no shell issues that would suggest a calcium deficiency). It could easily be something else though.

Enchilada, is there a link here that explains how to do an autopsy? I'm afraid I'd have no idea what to look for.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Terribly sorry to have heard about your loss.

N

no one

I know how this hurts. I lost my little Sterretje due to hatchling failure syndrome. I am very, very sorry!!

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sad to say that our little Speed Rocket (a sulcata hatchling) passed away today. I suspect a vitamin A deficiency, but wasn't able to get to the vet in time to know for sure. All my temperature and humidity settings matched the guidelines available here, and he ate mostly grass & weeds, with a calcium & Mazuri added every few days. He got plenty of real sunshine (MVB when indoors), and was soaked regularly. He stopped eating around mid-week, and was lethargic with closed eyes by Friday. This wasn't the first time he's stopped eating, but I've always been able to turn things around by adding carrots to his bath. Unfortunately, this time was different: by this afternoon he had significant bruising, and passed in the early evening. My whole family is feeling pretty blue about it.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your little "Speed Rocket". I know how you are questioning yourself, because I know how I felt when I lost a Tortoise. A couple of thoughts I have are first, about adding Calcium to the Mazuri diet as I thought that Calcium and other Vitamin supplements weren't necessary when feeding Mazuri. Secondly, I am not sure who cares for the grass and weeds you feed, but make sure no pesticides, ant spray or other chemicals are present. I know this sounds obvious, but sometimes Gardners accidentally bring dangerous substances onto our property when carrying for our lawns. Some babies just aren't going to make it, I'm just sorry this happened to you.