Safe feed?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
The s cond is definitely Sedum spectibile... I still haven't forgiven Joe for eating mine to the ground

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Soaks are essential to maintain hydration.

Your tort must be soaked.

You just need to ensure that your tort gets enough roughage (fiber) in his diet. His poop will be loose from time to time; it's not diarrhoea (an illness caused by bacteria or a virus). He will be fine.

He won't be fine if he gets dehydrated. Soaking is essential

Bambam1989

East Texas
Soaks are essential to maintain hydration.

Your tort must be soaked.

You just need to ensure that your tort gets enough roughage (fiber) in his diet. His poop will be loose from time to time; it's not diarrhoea (an illness caused by bacteria or a virus). He will be fine.

He won't be fine if he gets dehydrated. Soaking is essential
I agree with joesmum. It's common for them to poop during soaks. This also means less poop in the enclosure. What kind of tort are you feeding if I may ask?

Hood River, OR
I agree with joesmum. It's common for them to poop during soaks. This also means less poop in the enclosure. What kind of tort are you feeding if I may ask?
He is a Russian tortoise and my concern is he pooped outside yesterday and we came in and I soaked him, not even 2 minutes went by and his water was super green and had poop. So I took him to get cleaned off and gave him new water and as soon as I turned my back more poop. I did this another two times and both times more poop. I don't want to make him sick and I definitely don't want to freak him out so I just put him on an old clean t-shirt and hurried up to get his enclosure cleaned up to put him back. He immediately burrowed and hid for the rest of the evening.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I suspect the cause of the super green water was pee and not poop. It's quite common for the two to happen simultaneously... and the pee can be quite explosively released.

That poop in the photo was beautifully formed. In the soak water, even solid poop can break upbeasily.

Please, please do not stop soaking your tort. You will do far more more harm by denying your tort water.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Correction to the ID above: it is Hylotelephium spectabile
While they were once called Sedum, they are not closely related, and were recognized in the 1970's by this name