Safe for my russian tortoise to eat an earthworm?

mrpresitort

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hi all, I took my primarily-indoors male russian tort out in the yard for some outdoor time and saw him eyeing up an earthworm. I let it happen thinking he was just curious, but then he caught me completely off-guard when he bit at it like he was trying to eat it! He quickly lost interest after I shooed him away from the worm out of worry, so he only got the first peck in (poor worm 😥). After this incident, though, I did some more digging online and saw that some people have seen their outdoor-housed russians eating earthworms before and didn't seem to make much of it.

I have no intention of intentionally feeding him earthworms, but if this happens again should I just let him follow his instincts and eat it? If not, should I be worried that I'm missing some vital nutrients in his diet? He seems completely healthy otherwise.

This is his diet: I feed him as much fresh grass/flower as I can but due to my location I do have to rely mostly on escarole/collards/other assorted grocery greens that I coat with dried grasses I got from the Kapidolo farms website + some calcium powder. He won't eat the dried food if I don't put them on the grocery greens, even if I rehydrate it. I'm in the process of growing some dandelions and other grasses in a home garden.

Thanks in advance everyone!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he were in the wild and came across it, he would eat it. Yes, it's fine.
If possible, you need to build him an outdoor enclosure for nice weather/summer. Whenever possible, tortoises should be able to live outside in a safe enclosure.

mrpresitort

NJ
If he were in the wild and came across it, he would eat it. Yes, it's fine.
If possible, you need to build him an outdoor enclosure for nice weather/summer. Whenever possible, tortoises should be able to live outside in a safe enclosure.
Thanks for the reply, wellington! Noted, I'll let him go for it next time around. And yes, the outdoor enclosure is the dream. I currently live in an apartment so I can't do an outdoor enclosure. He has a 4'x8' indoor enclosure for now. I try to take him outside as much as I can and hope to someday have a house of my own where I can build him a big outdoor home :)

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I have seen mine “bite” at everything from dead leaves to a brightly colored flower pot. He might just have been biting at it to test the waters to see if it was something of interest, rather than because he was interested.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all, I took my primarily-indoors male russian tort out in the yard for some outdoor time and saw him eyeing up an earthworm. I let it happen thinking he was just curious, but then he caught me completely off-guard when he bit at it like he was trying to eat it! He quickly lost interest after I shooed him away from the worm out of worry, so he only got the first peck in (poor worm 😥). After this incident, though, I did some more digging online and saw that some people have seen their outdoor-housed russians eating earthworms before and didn't seem to make much of it.

I have no intention of intentionally feeding him earthworms, but if this happens again should I just let him follow his instincts and eat it? If not, should I be worried that I'm missing some vital nutrients in his diet? He seems completely healthy otherwise.

This is his diet: I feed him as much fresh grass/flower as I can but due to my location I do have to rely mostly on escarole/collards/other assorted grocery greens that I coat with dried grasses I got from the Kapidolo farms website + some calcium powder. He won't eat the dried food if I don't put them on the grocery greens, even if I rehydrate it. I'm in the process of growing some dandelions and other grasses in a home garden.

Thanks in advance everyone!
I wouldn't let hi do it, but if it happens, I don't think it will hurt anything.

Russians aren't grass eaters. You can use it for fiber on greens, but I wouldn't make that his "food".

Use less of the dried leaves to get him starting to eat it. Start with just a tiny amount at first.