Safe insecticides

Sheldon's pappy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield
Anybody know of any safe insecticides for a closed chamber enclosure? Sheldon is 8 months old. I have little gnat looking flies in his enclosure. Not sure how they got there. I don't think they are bothering Sheldon but would rather they aren't there. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Quite a few of our member swear by diatomaceous earth. I haven't had success with it.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Diatomaceous earth works best when it is dry, if your substrate is moist, the DE gets wet and clumps up and is not as effective. I have been letting my substrate dry out but using water tubs on shelves, and soaking dishes under the CHE, and a humidifier to keep humidity up. The flies only come from the wet substrate. Also clear fly traps that stick to the inside of the glass.

Prairie Mom

I once accidentally brought in a harmless spider with some plants I was growing outdoors. That spider was the greatest friend I had in battling gnats/fruitflies. -Seriously. He was most welcome! He grew to a good size had a decent web, doubt he ever met my tortoise, and cleaned out the chamber! Just a thought.:)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Fly paper (safely out of reach), carnivorous plants (out of trample range), and 'mosquito dunks' (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis) would be my choices for specific things you could use for fungus gnat control. I've used them all in the past with varying success. My fungus gnat population seems to be well managed right now by having a bio active substrate - all of the other soil critters seem to keep the flies in check.

SteveW

Fly paper (safely out of reach), carnivorous plants (out of trample range), and 'mosquito dunks' (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis) would be my choices for specific things you could use for fungus gnat control. I've used them all in the past with varying success. My fungus gnat population seems to be well managed right now by having a bio active substrate - all of the other soil critters seem to keep the flies in check.

Good point. I've got Isopods in all enclosures and they seem to out compete the gnats.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Sorry, I know this thread is like 3 years old. I saw mosquito dunks were labeled as safe. Does that mean I can literally put them in the water dishes of my outside box turtle cages and expect no negative repercussions? My mom tossed some in the dishes and when I got home I took them out and cleared the dishes, but now I’m reading they may actually be a safe solution.