Safe plants?

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hello everyone. I bought a few new plants. However, I'm not sure they are safe for my red foot. I bought them from home depot, which means there are pesticides in them. Will they affect her if I feed her the leaves of the plant? I bought a hibiscus, some sort of ivy, and a succulent. Here are some pictures.

image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
You will want to wait until they detox. Replant them in chem free soil and give it 6 months to a year.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Not sure if the ivy will be 100% safe at all. I think there's some species of ivy that are okay but some that aren't. I'll have to recheck the tortoise table for myself actually! ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, thanks. I will not include it in her enclosure. Do you know if the hibiscus would be safe, even though i bought it from home depot?

It is not safe. Feed only the new growth that happens after one year has passed. Take a picture for reference. The systemic pesticides that are used are taken up into the plant and incorporated into the plant's tissues. They don't intend those plants to be consumed. They are just for pretty decoration.