Safe plants

DanH44

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse NY
Is there any safe plants I could possibly find at Lowe’s that my Redfoots and Russian could eat? I’d like to add some potted plants to their enclosures. I am not sure what is safe and what is not.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Well, in terms of for eating, it's a bit of a tough one because a lot potted plants are often in treated soil and have been grown using pesticides and chem fertilizers. I buy "houseplants" and keep them in untreated soil to flush them for 6-8 months before adding them.

However, there are several that you could add that are edible but probably wont be favoured. Pothos is the easiest, and maybe the hardiest, these things need almost no light.
Spider plant is cheap and makes a nice hide.
Wandering Jew makes a nice look
African violets will occasionally produce a flower that your tort will maybe eat, but mine doesn't fancy the leaves.
Draecona of various types looks nice and my tort has never eaten it. It's also durable.
A yucca tree is a fancy and eye catching (to me anyway, probably not to someone who lives in Florida :) )
A Mediterranean dwarf fern provides lots of shade.
I had a list saved somewhere...hmmm. well that's a start, and I'm sure there will be others who can suggest a few as well. One thing to consider is some of these are more fragile than others and might get trampled to death. I leave them in pots and bury them about half or 2 thirds up. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
All decorative plants grown all across the country are grown with systemic pesticides. Its taken up by the roots and assimilated into the plant's tissues. It cannot be rinsed off and it can last for a year. All of this is according to an experienced member here who happens to work at a commercial nursery.

If you want plants in your enclosure you must grow them from seed, or from cuttings off of long established plants that haven't had any new chemicals added for a long time.

snowman04

Saline
I know this is an older post but it is exactly what I needed to be reminded of. I will get a nice spider and grow some shoots for Otto's habitat... Tnx, Tom!